Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Superior auction catalog arrived today.

Lotta nice stuff.image

Comments

• Options
    Skylaneflyer received a HUGE amount of advertising space. HUGE.

Did I mention it was HUGE?
  • Options
    Window shopping at it's finest. I have a new appreciation of the 1967 set. Spectacular set, can't believe anyone would let that set go.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I agree. The 1967 set is, in my opinion, Topps greatest issue. Color, great shots, and a simple classy design make this set what it is.

I guess once you complete such a high grade set, you may get bored and want to try something else.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the nice comments about the 1967 Topps set. It was a very hard set to let go - there are some really great cards in the set and the stories behind locating many of them are interesting. I hope all of you take the opportunity to find something in the sale that will benefit your set, player or team collection. There are plenty for everyone. For any of you trying to upgrade your set from 8's to additional 9's, check out the 91 card lot of PSA 9's as there are many difficult to find cards in that group.

Dan (Dude) had come on the forum a couple weeks back to let you know about our discussion regarding my decision to sell. My interests and priorities have shifted in the last six months.

My true passion is flying and, even though the West Coast is a wonderful flying state, you can only go to so many destinations and airport restaurants. My wife (who loves to fly and is a student pilot - try that with your wife on card collecting!) and I have taken an interest in doing dog rescues and transporting puppy guide dogs to trainers as well as owners. Our missions become more interesting and challenging. We have 4 dogs of our own, and they are a handful!

I want to thank all of the many collectors and dealers who helped find lots of cards for the set over the past few years. There were so many of you, so please accept this as a general "thank you".

Best of luck to everyone,

Sky

"Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful set indeed. I'd love to buy every card as I long for a high grade set from my birthyear. Unfortunately I have too many priorities and not enough money. I'll have to build that set slowly. But I do hope to pick up a card or two to add to my collection. I hope and believe you'll do very well in the auction. I think it was a good idea to break up the set. Not too many people have tens of thousands of dollars to sink into their card collections. Listing it in small lots gives all of us a chance to own a piece of that incredible set.

Best of luck on your new challenges. And if you ever decide to get back into collecting, might I suggest starting with the 1969T baseball set? image
  • Options
    No doubt. The quality of the offerings appear in every lot. I'm especially impressed by the partial / starter sets that are being offered. Those 71s must have been brutal to find.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Yes, I got my copy yesterday, although I've been fixated on the on-line offerings for over 10 days now.

Skylaneflyer's '67 set is truly legendary. It may never be surpassed in set quality. In my mind, the '67 set is Topp's greatest achievement and the last set of the vintage era. As much as I like the '68 and '69 Topps set plus to a lesser degree the '70-73 sets, they don't have the vintage flavor to them. The '67 has many more players in the classic poses, plus the following years have way too many cards with bad air brush jobs (A's moving to Oakland in the '68 set, and the '69 expansion) plus after '67 the photography became inferior in several ways.

Well time to go buy some lottey tickets. If I win, Joel will be the first to know. image
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Joel: I have been in awe since the cards hit the website and now, to seem them in the catalog is too tempting. Hopefully before Christmas, some of them may come East so I can see them up close. Would love to hear some stories on some of the cards' acquisition. In brief, were most them acquired raw or already graded?

Just opened up a '67 cello pack and was quite disappointed. While the top card was 50/50 and a likely 9+ (as were 6 others), 5 of the cards in the middle will be 9 OC at best--with 2 centered 90/10 LR. If anyone has experience opening cellos--Is this common? Is the first cards' centering not necessarily representative of the whole pack?

Again, best of luck with the sale and wherever life takes you--!!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erik - I haven't opened enough vintage cellos to give a reply based on a significant sample size. But the few I have opened do seem to run in trends. But within a given pack, the centering can shift from nearly 50/50 to nearly miscut. I don't recall opening a cello pack where the centering varied widely from card to card though. The 1969 cello I opened was very consistant with most being about 60-40 to 65-35 top to bottom. The 1971 cello I opened had about half the cards well centered while the other half were OC or nearly miscut. A 1960 cello I opened had most of the cards OC top to bottom (short sides). It yielded some 8s, including a Kaat RC but many were too OC to submit.

By the way, did you purchase the '67 cello off eBay recently from the cello who broke a full box? I bought one pack that I'll pick up today. I don't plan to open it as it's destined for my collection. The top card is OC but the bottom card (reverse) is 50/50. Did you get any star cards in your pac,k O/C or otherwise? If you can manage three or four 9's, you'll have made back your investment. I'd say if >50% of the cards were well centered, you didn't do too badly.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SKY - I hope you exceed all expectations with your '67's. I knew first hand the climb that it took for you to reach completion, and I was happy to add several to your endeavour. Please don't be a stranger on these boards, your insight is valuable....jay
  • Options
    Sky,

Good luck with you set. It's a real beauty. Chris has some really nice cards, but it doesn't compare to Mastro's auction. But then again, what usually does???

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I think this is Superior's best auction in some time and is testimony to how quickly Chris Porter has been able to make inroads into the vintage sportscard market. There is a tremendous amount of quality vintage material here.
    Mastro also has high quality stuff but personally aside from the 52 Topps and 57 Topps Basketball set, I fing more of interest in the Superior Auction.

Davalillo
  • Options
    The Superior catalog is a window shoppers delight. Just unbelievable cards! Dig those Gaspipe 1969 Topps White Letters! The bids are already quite substantial. Good Luck Bob.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!