Home PSA Set Registry Forum

New Composite Set - Hall of Fame Autographs

With all the immodest pride of a first-time father, let me draw your attention to the newly inaugurated Hall of Fame Autographs set. I don't know whether anyone else has dabbled in this Quixotic pursuit, but if you're scratching your head and wondering why anyone would bother, here is some of what I wrote to PSA when pitching the idea:

It combines two types of cards which are much sought after by collectors – Hall of Famers and autographed cards. What I am proposing is a composite set of autographed cards of all members of the Hall of Fame – at present 254 in number.

This is clearly an Everest of a set principally because, at the present time, 100% completion is nowhere near possible. Indeed a couple of years ago it would only have been possible to complete a tiny fraction of the Hall. But the upsurge in autograph issues by all companies and, in particular, the advent of the SP Legendary Cuts sets in the past two years which have made available autographed cards from many HOFers long deceased, make this now a much more realistic proposition.

Another intriguing aspect to this set is that it widens each year, with fresh inductions to the Hall. This opens to collectors the challenge of anticipating future HOFers and obtaining their autographed cards at the optimum time in advance of their selection.

As you will see, the set recognizes not only recent autograph issues but also cards autographed after their original issue and now authenticated by PSA/DNA.

At all events, B.J. & Joe were kind enough to think it a good enough idea to give it airtime. And I’m off to register the first (and for the moment best) set. What does anyone else think?
Baseball HOF Autographs
Topps Baseball 1967
Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
MVPs in their MVP years
and T206???

Comments

• spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I think it's a great idea. It would make for an awesome set when all done. I know a collector collecting the 55 Bowman set autographed which is a task in and of itself, but I had never heard of such a set like this. How would one go about getting cards from the 19th century players? I am not familiar with the new SP cards, but are such autographs offered? With signed balls so rare, I wonder if there are any cards autographed.

spacktrack
  • UllrUllr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    When the SGC Set Registry was under construction I suggested exactly the same idea via email. They never replied or acknowledged my proposal yet they continually spam me for submissions. It looks like my cards are going to Cali from know on. Thanks PSA.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs