Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1964 Topps Giants

I am intrigued by the discussion of the 1964 Topps Giants set. IMO, it's a neat set. Decent size with star representation. Raw prices for the stars are very reasonable.

I am a collector of raw vintage cards in my attempt to build sets. I went through a stage where I sent a bunch (<50) of cards to PSA and really got into the grading idea. I had hopes of building a PSA set one day. I then decided to go for all the sets, in any condition, just to build my collection. The thrill of the hunt can be just as great building raw as it can be building graded.

Now, I have been following some market prices and noticed recently, even before this post, that 64 Giants were very reasonably priced. Is this a set that is just in a "decline" due to the economy? Will it retain value if built in PSA 7 or 8?

I ask b/c a part of me really wants to do a graded set. Something small for now with maybe a larger set coming down the line. I like the fact that 64 Giants has only 60 cards but has a Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Koufax, and others in it.

What my post amounts to is this:

1) Is the 64 Giants set one that will appreciate in value over time?
2) Is it easily available in PSA 7 and 8?
3) What does SMR look like for a graded set? What percentage of SMR would go into completing it?
4) If building the set, would you start accumulating 7's and then upgrade while leaving the opportunity open to get 8's when available?
5) Are there any other vintage baseball sets small in size that would appreciate or hold value and be easily completed?

I appreciate any guidance.

spacktrack

Comments

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭

3) What does SMR look like for a graded set? What percentage of SMR would go into completing it?
    4) If building the set, would you start accumulating 7's and then upgrade while leaving the opportunity open to get 8's when available?
    5) Are there any other vintage baseball sets small in size that would appreciate or hold value and be easily completed?

Hi...imho
    [1] Yes. as you say, set is collectible and full of stars
    [2] Very available
    [3] SMR on a PSA 8 set is about $2000. A set in PSA 8 sold for $2760 in the last Superior auction.
    [4] I would look for PSA 9's if you can afford them. Avoid "7"s.
    [5] 1963 Fleer - 67 beautiful cards.

My advice: Collect this set for the thrill of the chase. The cards are so colorful you will enjoy just looking at them and won't care what their future value is!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Spacktrack, it's an awesome set. There are currently 25 complete or partial '64 Topps Giants set on the Registry. It keeps growing and growing...

I think so, but I believe the higher the grade, the more upside potential.

Yes, definitely. There are some very tough 8's out there like Boyer and Skowron.

We had a detailed discussion a while back, and estimates ranged from $1500-2000 to build an all PSA 8 set. An all PSA 8 set sold in Superior's last auction for $2,760 including the buyer's fee.

Your budget is always the determining factor, but I would go straight for the 8's.

1970 Kellogg's 3-D of course! It's a 75 card set packed with HOF's. 9's are very plentiful except for a hand full of cards.

• pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>

no because the population report grows quickly,prices drop
    and supply is plentiful.

1964 topps stand-up set is 77 cards with a tremendous percentage of stars.
    i dont believe any set will hold monetary value over time due to ever increasing
    supply of graded cards. >>

Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • About a year ago this time I remember extensive discussion about how the '70 Kellogg's cards would plummet because there was a huge supply of 9's on the market. Very experienced and saavy collectors shared this point of view. Most estimates were in the $5-10 range for many 9's. Well the population absolutely exploded, and the prices overall have seen huge price increases, particularly commons which were shunned.

'64 Topps Giants will hold up very well, and you will see appreciation with the higher grades. More and more collectors like yourself are seeking smaller vintage sets like the TG's. Many people like myself don't have the intestinal fortitude (and stupidity image) to collect 800 card sets. The demand has been there for these cards in this cruddy card environment, and it will grow when the boom times come again.
  • Do you see this as the perfect time to begin such a project? Do you forsee the market reaching any lower points or do you project a coming increase in prices?
  • Gemmint's crystal ball of card knowledge will answer all your questions...

GEMMINT'S CRYSTAL BALL OF KNOWLEDGE

• Of course if that doesn't convince you, Gemmint "feels" that it's a good time. The perfect time was three years ago when no one collected these cards and PSA wasn't grading them yet. I think increases are more likely for the higher grades than decreases at this point.
  • "is now a good time to begin collecting the 1964 topps giants set in psa 8?

It's possible."

works for me
  • Sounds like a winner! LOL
  • GMM:

If you don't mind continuing the discussion, did you have success sending in raw cards? How does what to look for differ, if at all, from basic cards? Is everything just the same except you're looking for it on a bigger card?

thanks,

spacktrack
  • Gem Mint,

I agree the 64 Topps Giants are Pretty Cool ... I have acquired a Brooks Robinson in a 9 ... Love it!!! I may be headed down the road of completing this set! My only question is do you have a club and official spokesman in mind ... Rumor has it Mr Koolaid is taken image
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    spacktrack,

I have a very solid raw set available, email or PM if interested.

Brian
    psa1965topps@yahoo.com
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey

• << <i>you don't mind continuing the discussion, did you have success sending in raw cards? How does what to look for differ, if at all, from basic cards? Is everything just the same except you're looking for it on a bigger card? >>

Good success with submission, not great success. They're pretty much Topps cards, just GIANT ones.

• Luxury - it sounds like you're hooked! You will love this set if you decide to build it.

On the Vintage Trade Board, I suggested we call the '64 Topps Giants Club..."THE GIANTS GIN JOINT". I felt that it brought about a feeling of card collecting comradery and drinking at the same time.

It's either that or "TOPPS GIANTS JAMBOREE".

We still need a spokesman with Star Caliber image.
  • theBobs:

PM sent.

Thanks all for the info.

spacktrack
  • Possible spokesman candidate for the Topps Giants Gin Joint...

Jolly Green GIANT
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Ut-oh--perhaps its fate--i was going to suggest him!!!image
  • When someone announces that they are collecting a '64 Topps Giants set the greeting will be...

HO HO HO, TOPPS GIANTS!
    perhaps a GIANT following will be established.

• Spacktrack - Its a great set to collect due to the many stars involved and the great pictures. Its worth it for the great pictures of Mantle, Koufax and Mays by themselves.

And, its also great from a challenge standpoint, due to the tough 8's and 9's (Skowron, Boyer, E. Howard, Aparicio, etc.). And as far as tough grading goes, only about .5% of all Giants submitted have received 10's.

I had fairly good success with raw which was the basis for the first few cards of my set.

I guarantee that you will enjoy collecting this jewel!

Gemmint - What a great spokesgiant!

• << <i>spokesgiant >>

Hey I like that Cubfan.

You know we're going to need to put it to a vote to decide whether "Topps Giants Jamboree" or "Topps Giants Gin Joint" will be our official club name.

Unless there are any other ideas?

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    "Topps Giants Gems"?

"Topps Ho- Ho- Ho- Gem Giants"?
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Mantlefan, maybe something with the HO-HO-HO in it although that is our spokesgiant's theme song.

• LMAO - Luxury is already capitalizing on the "Jolly Green Topps GIANT" theme.

Luxury strikes first!

HO HO HO, TOPPS GIANTS!
  • Trying out a new one...

HO HO HO, TOPPS GIANTS!
  • Not bad, GMM. I have decided that I will make a slow pursuit of the set. I'll look to get started after the holidays.

spacktrack
  • Well done Spacktrack!

The Jolly Green Topps GIANT will be here to greet you when you start your set!
  • GEMMINT,

It is amazing what 1 glass of red wine does for my creativity when naming sets... It also helps that my wine glass holds about 30 Ounces of wine..... Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Luxury, you're supposed to drink Gin when thinking about your Topps GIANTS. Why don't you add some red food coloring next time and just pretend it's wine image.
  • Can someone tell me how to post a picture without a URL link into a post?

TheBobs sent me some great scans and, if Brian doesn't mind, I'd like to inquire about the snow on the Mantle. I'd like the experts to tell me how they think it would grade out.

Brian, thanks for the GREAT scans.

spacktrack
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    No problem Spack. Search some of BKAH's past posts, as he has published very detailed instructions on this topic.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
    Got instructions and should have a pic up tonight.

spacktrack
    I thought I successfully posted an attachment but it appears not to have come through. Can anyone guide me from the point after I have uploaded the file? I successfully uploaded a 47KB file, hit attach file, it downloaded the file, said Done, I went to close window, and then there was no picture attached?

Anyone?