Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA crossover service

Do you think it would be wise if PSA had a crossover service . That they could look at another grading companies cards and give an opinion on what they would grade the card before they crack it out of the holder. I understand they would need a disclaimer saying that they would be not responsible for damage that could happen from cracking the card or from a flaw they find after cracking the card. At least it would give the collector of an option and save them from having some SGC 96's come back 7's

I think it could be a valuable service on higher priced cards . I have a $750 SGC 88 that i would like to crack but if it comes back a PSA 7 . Its now worth $300. I just cant take the risk. I feel it is a PSA 8 but with some of the inconsistancies in PSA grading its still a risk

Anybody have any thoughts on this idea

Randy

Comments

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I think that this would be a good revenue generator and idea for PSA. I believe that SGC now offers this service?

As far a competition between companies goes, it would may remove some high-end cards from those holders into PSA. Which would give PSA free advertising, more exposure and market share for such cards.

There was not a significant need for this type of service prior to the PSA Set Registry. However, with the need to fill sets, sometimes there is no other option other than to fill sets with a cross over into PSA holders.

Because this could be more of a specialty service, this could result in a higher grading fees.

Is this an issue that PSA has visited before with a definite yes or no answer?
  • Options
    Great topic! I sent in a message to the new PSA Question & Answer Forum on this subject over a week ago but it hasn't been answered yet. I have six GAI 9 1960 Topps FB cards and two GAI 8 short print 1954 Bowman cards that I need for my PSA 8 or better sets and could only find them in GAI holders. I called PSA customer service and they told me that I had two options: Crack them out myself and submit them through the normal process, or send them in slabbed with a letter absolving PSA of any damage liability and then they would crack them out and grade. What I would really like is a "pre-grade estimate" -- especially on the 9s as I'd rather sell them then get them back in PSA 8 holders. Here's what I asked:

1. Is the above procedure communicated by PSA Customer Service correct? And if so, do you have standard damage waiver language that needs to be used in the letter?

2. Have you thought about offering a Cross-Over service which would include:
    - Pre-grade estimate
    - Special Fee -- $4 a card would probably clear out alot of GAI/SGC/BVG cards in the market as Set Registrants scrambled to acquire
    other vendors slabs to crossover into their PSA sets
    - Notification and label shipment back to GAI and SGC so they could keep their populations accurate

Kevin