Home Q & A Forum
Options

REGRADES

rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
Thanks for fielding questions tonight David!

What, if any, are the differences in the regrade process for "show" submissions and the regular(all other) regrade submissions? I have heard that "show" submissions are graded with three graders (no predetermined grade) and that regular regrades that are sent into PCGS the first grade assigned is the grade on the holder (with the other two coming from graders). Thanks!
Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    For the first year or two (1986 & 1987) we assigned the holder grade as the first grade on regrades. We haven't done that for 15 years. Now regardes are cracked out of the holder and sent into the grader room looking like any other coin...i.e. raw.

All show submissions, the ones at coin shows that is, have one difference in the process. The graders don't put their grade in a computer. Three graders grade the coin and put their grade on the back of the coin's flip. The last grader puts down the final grade, using the consensus method, and discussing the coin with the graders present when there's a diversity of opinions.

David