Home Q & A Forum
Options

Hands-on Grading

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

What methods other than "hands-on" grading have PCGS used? I continue to be perplexed by the hands on grading methods in which coins are held by their rims with bare hands. Is it feasible to wear finger cotts or cloth bandages on thumbs and forefingers to protect the coin from the oils in the graders hands.

I do realize that coins have been handled this way for many, many years as acceptable method. I do worry that the the coins will turn with time from the acids and oils on fingers.

Thank you,

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Tony...You may have an important point. I've never seen any grader or dealer wear gloves, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. And we've always had the policy that graders have to wash their hands after eating tacos before they get back in the grading room.

However, logic dictates that moisture, body oil, taco sauce, and all kinds of substances could be tranfered to coins from grader and sealer hands. And from some posts on the message board we do seem to have some occassional finger print problems. We will check out the potential problem and make changes if appropriate.

One thing everybody could do to help. I would love to have some "fingerprint" coins to look at. If anyone has any in PCGS holders that they could send to us, it would help us check out the situation. We would appreciate the help.

David