Home Q & A Forum
Options

Variety coin designation

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have seen a few PCGS coins listed with the Cherry Picker number. Does PCGS plan to do this for a larger range of known varieties (FS, Breen, Cohen, Overton etc)?

(I really want my varieties in matching holders image)
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The variety question is complex. It's pretty obvious to us that many of our customers and many Set Registry participants want us to recognize more varieties and include more varieties in the Set Registry.

The concept I struggle with is that there are varieties and then there are varieties, if you know what I mean. Some varieties take a lot of imagination to see. I remember the Heritage auction when Tom McCarroll bought the MS65 1914/3 Buffalo nickel for pretty big money and stated that he thought it was a "concept" coin. This particular variety is one I still don't understand. I look and look and look and I still can't see it. But the numismatic community recognizes it and so we do.

We will be reviewing the entire variety concept and we will send all of our Registry participants, authorized dealers, and Collectors Club members a survey inviting their input on what the PCGS "variety recognition policy" should be.

In the old days, the "discovery" and subsequent Redbook inclusion of a new variety was big news. Now some of the newly listed varieties seem to be confusing. We'll check it out and give you a forum (survey, etc.) to help us do what makes the most sense in terms of variety recognition.

David