Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many of you US coin lovers on this board are lawyers, in law school or are law school graduates?

2»

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I is a pharmacist. At least I think I is one. Of course, it could all be just

a horrible dream and Im really not. One can never be sure about these things.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    No lawyers in my family! Ya baby.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    I am a 24 year member of the Idaho State Bar Association. I retired from active practice in 2001. I successfully talked my son into not going to law school. He is now a part time coin dealer. Which is worse?
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    I am a card-carrying California State Bar member who has practiced as a trial lawyer for 27 years in Lost Angeles-- consecutive years that is. There are more lawyer/numismatists than these posts would indicate. I have PM'd and been PM'd by a number of them. I have personally watched the practice of law go from a fairly well respected profession to one which is not respected at all and often despised, yet one which is the absolute fixation of television series, motion pictures and novels. Go figure.

I have seen things that would make a grown man cry, make water run uphill, turn your hair white (it did mine) and generally make it so that the few hours of sleep I get at night are a short, strange trip. Lawyers are the proctologists of ethics in America. If everybody who lied in a lawsuit was actually prosecuted and convicted of perjury, there would be millions and millions more people in our already overcrowded prisons. The WAR on drugs has killed the courts, removed any remaining respect from the legal system, made a lot of people rich and made it so that the US has a huge percentage of its citizens incarcerated as compared to other Western democracies. The generally lousy financial state of the country and the individual states has made the state and federal courts a truly Kafkaesque experience and has delivered the coup de grace in the decapitation of the finest legal system ever conceived. Good luck to all of us!

But, it is fun to go on this board and I do enjoy the hours I spend with my coins and my numismatic library.
    DSW
  • RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Opps... sorry about the duplicate posts.
    Kept getting the login prompt and didn't realize it would post.

<html />
    <html />
    Hi Adrian:

I'm a laywer.

Federal practice primarily.

I'm the guy unions throw things at when I cross the picket line. Have a hole in the front grill of my SUV to prove it.

RR
    <html />
  • i thought about becoming a lawyer senior year in high school but my parents talked me out of it telling me it was a nasty backstabbing dishonorable profession full of slimeballs ambulance chasers and lowlifes..and they specialize in twisting the truth and are parasites that thrive off of all of us..and that all the money i made would not prevent me from burning in hell for all of eternity for choosing such a profession..
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I spent about the same amount last year suing a former builder and his insurance company to fix construction defects....even though we won, no one ever wins in these things

That's not true, Lakes - the lawyers on both sides won.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Not me, but I swim in the ocean. Does that count? image
    Wondo

• MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Old lawyers never fade away, they become politicians, get elected, then we let them do what ever they pleaseimage
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    There is definitely a connection of some kind between lawyers and coins. It used to be if you went to www.usmint.org it would take you to the Legal World website. Now it either crashes or goes to the Buying Power site which has links to Law Books, Legal World, and The Paralegal Bookstore.

If it crashes you will notice thatwhen it does it is looking for something on www.chesslaw.com which is an interesting site itself. (I think the reason for the crash is that Legal World may not exist anymore. Odd, I can't get into the chesslaw site now.
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Let's not be too rough on the lawyers. The only SOB lawyer I ever met was my ex's divorce lawyer. image
  • Guilty as charged. A commercial litigator (in New York City, no less) for 27 years. My kids say the only cool thing about my practice is our office has a free Coke machine.
  • An Attorney, a computer programmer, a bailbondsman, an a stockbroker walk in to a bar.............
    I know this sounds like the start of a bad joke but it is a true story.
    Instead of a bar, I had the pleasure of having lunch with all of the above mentioned professionals
    during an ANA Coin Grading class.
    I enjoyed the company of each person and learned much about numismastics in addition to other topics.

Although this seems like the perfect opportunity to stero-typically make fun everyone involved in the
    previously mentioned occupations, I must confesss that I would not have been able to guess the chosen profession
    of anyone based on the conversation that occured as we all enjoyed each others company.
    Can't we all just get along image

PS:
    Any of the above mention comments should NOT in any way be considered
    to mitigate my jealousy of Greg Hansen who attended the same ANA Coin Grading Seminar
    and managed to parlay this knowledge into a 50.5 percent rating in the PCGS World Series of
    Coin Grading.........

TextTextText
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    I think that many professionals seem to get involved in Legal situations, most commonly contracts especially those in small businesses. I have no legal training whatsoever (other than the school of hard knocks) but I am contstantly called upon to review contracts in my line of business. In today's society, everybody has to be "legally aware and if you're not, you quickly become a statistic.

My neighbor was a lawyer, now he sell motor homes (and sleeps better).........image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Do "Jailhouse Lawyers" count???image
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I've got a brother that's an attorney, but I don't usually admit that in public. I normally tell people he's a piano player in a whorehouse.image

GSAGUY
  • I've got a brother that's an attorney, but I don't usually admit that in public. I normally tell people he's a piano player in a whorehouse.

GSAGUY

Seems like a fitting allegory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file