Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collection of Proof Indian Cents to highlight Heritage auction

Collection of Proof Indian Cents to highlight Heritage auction

The current collection of Indian Cent Proofs on the PCGS Registry has been consigned to Heritage's Signature Sale taking place at the January 2003 Orlando convention of the Florida United Numismatists.

Assembled by an anonymous aficionado, this amazing collection is listed under the name "Newmismatist" on the PCGS Registry.

In other Heritage news, Heritage's Exclusively Internet ("EI") sale closed Nov. 5. With 669 bidders competing for 1,274 lots, 284 were successful. Total sell-through set a new record total of $301,755.75 for 776 lots sold (60.910 percent). It was Heritage's first weekly EI auction to break the $300,000 barrier.

LINK

K S

Comments

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    A brief biography of this collector as well as some of the early Heritage images of his set can be found here. Images of the entire collection should be available within the next month.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I plan on checking out the proof indian head cents, although I would imagine most of these pieces will be out of my price range.
    The tidbit on the EI sales, doesn't impress me, as looking back at that sale, there were numerous higher end pieces. I almost think Heritage is using the EI sales for their own inventory (more than previously) and garnering less consignments for those auctions. I could be dead wrong also.
    Kind of like when the movie theatres claim to break money records for new releases......if you figure in the ticket price increases, I'm not sure any "record" has been broken. I'd love to know the head count, as opposed to the monetary figure. Same with the Heritage sale. I guess they could break $400k if they included enough of their own inventory of higher end pieces. Again, I could be way off on that assumption.
    Now, to go and take a peak at some proof indian head cents........................
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Karl and Paul,

You guys had better watch out or someone will lambast you for participating in a thread about COINS! I had almsot forgotten which forum this was but I see that it is indeed the "U.S. COIN FORUM". Thanks for the reminder.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    heh heh heh

funny thing is, i really like brilliant proofs. w/ cameo's seemingly so much in vogue, does anybody even care about b.p's any more?

but i think my favorites will always be satin-finished proofs. it makes the detail seem inconceivably sharp on such coins.

K S
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Mark -- the threads pile up so quickly that this one almost got buried before I could find it. And it was posted this morning!

A couple other tidbits about this collection. I like the fact it contains so many RBs, and he refused to "upgrade" them with less attractive RDs even at the cost of registry points. They're a nice balance to all the cameos. He has 14 of the 29 dates in which PCGS has graded at least one CAM, and 2 of the 3 they've graded DCAM. But also has 15 RBs.

It's also interesting how the usually much nicer digital images Heritage sometimes uses -- which this gentleman insisted on -- washes out the cameo on many of these coins. Below is an example of Heritage's generic full slab scan compared to the same coin they digitally imaged. Just goes to show you one setup does not fit all when it comes to copper coins. Sometimes darker is better:

imageimage
  • Options
    Paul, you said " I like the fact it contains so many RBs, and he refused to "upgrade" them with less attractive RDs even at the cost of registry points"

I often prefer the RB's myself, due to some of the beautiful color variations. And, while I don't know the owner, I have great respect for his sticking with certain examples, while sacrificing registry points for not "upgrading" to RD's. It's refreshing to see someone who apparently cares more about the actual coins than the grading labels. The hobby could use more like him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file