Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best coin for under $300

there was a thread a while ago that had best coins for under $1000 but me being a kid i cant pay that much in fact i can hardly afford to buy a $300 dollar coin. Can any1 tell me a type set worthing coin for under $300?

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    all kinds of type coins out there in nice grades to be had for way under that amount!

Seated Dollar
    nice 20c piece
    seated half
    capped bust half
    capped bust dime, half dime

there are numerous nice coins out there under this range in fairly nice grades too.

I picked up a nice PF merc at Baltimore for closer to 200.00.
  • sorry to be a burden but could u give an estimated grade range? image
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    When I was 16 years old (1982), I bought a 1825 bust half in XF for $70. These can still be found for less than $100 or if you want to blow all $300 you can move up to a really choice AU.

These are awesome coins and have serious "wow" factor. 50c is good sized coin, they are 175 yrs old, the edge has lettering (very cool) and a nice XF is a fine looking coin. Take your time and get one that is ORIGINAL and not cleaned looking. Even if it was once lightly cleaned, make sure it has retoned a nice gray color. You don't want a blast white, slightly worn coin.

Just my 2 cents, but I have loved owning that coin and you can save $200 from your original $300 to buy other stuff.

Edited for typo.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
    If you're building a type set, like I am with and for my 4yr old, I buy common dated coins so I can splurge for nicer looking ones so his set will look very nice when complete.

seated dollars............f/vf around 200.00
    trade dollars.............ef around 150.00
    20c piece.................vf around 100.00 (hard to find problem free)
    capped bust quarter.......Fine........around 50-100.00

if you have any specific ones in specific grades you would like to know about just PM me and I'll do my best to reply.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Under $300! When I was your age I was trying to buy the best coins I could find under $3. Of course back then a house cost $20,000, a car cost $3,000, I had to walk six miles to school in the snow etc. etc. etc.

Anyhow, there are xf bust and seated coins in that price range.

David Bowers' recent price list suggested using $300 as a pricing point for collectinig Morgans. You can buy many common date gems for less, and many more in MS 63-64. Many key dates are available at that price range in xf, even ones that sell for thousands in MS.

CG
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Peace dollars too. All but the 34-s can be had in ms for under $300. The 34-s would have to be a good bargain au or xf.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    KlectorKid,

What type of coins do you like?
    Go from there.

Walking Liberty halfs are stunning in MS 64.

Kevin
  • i like almost anything from capped bust to mercs... but im not really fond of anything newer like lincons, washingtons, roosies
    are you using a Dansco book???
    that is what I am using.

I think the majority of the coins I have put in it have been around 50-75.00 with very few of them more than that. I try to buy all of them at the grade just below the big jump in price!

I am down to both seated dollar types and the gold page less one piece of gold. Even the gold page won't be too awful.
  • 1878 - 1882 S-mint Morgan Dollars in MS65 are well within that budget. For the Morgan Dollars, the early San Fransisco strikes are usually well struck and popular because of that and the affordablity. The 1878-s in ms65 runs around $200 and 1879-s thru 1882-s in ms66 is around $180 - $200.
  • Goose- no im not using a album. i have my type set almost done i need flowing hair coins (which may take a while) draped bust coins from 5 cents and up, and a 20 cent coin image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file