Home U.S. Coin Forum

1856 Flying Eagle for $40 bucks?

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
1856?

Hmmmmm......rigggggghtttttt......

Dave
Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    IT IS VERY SLICK ON BOTH SIDES AND NO YOU CAN NOT SEE A DATE ON THIS COIN ANY WHERE

that is what the seller added to the listing since I first saw it. It's already double the price of their listing fee!!!

40.00 for a Cull.

never ceases to amaze me at the things people bid on.
  • I must be missing something here????????? He says you can't see the date and it's just a hole filler, but then he lists it as an 1856, and even has 1856 written on the 2X2. Very shady indeed!!!image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these low grade coins (but, give me a date!).
    Even I think this is absolutely nuts!

peacockcoins

• Here's the answer I received when I asked for a technical explanation as to how she determined the date.

THE COIN WAS TAKEN FROM A WHITMAN COLLECTION BOOK WE JUST GOT IN THIS WEEK
    IT WAS IN THE 1856 SLOT AS A HOLE FILLER THE COIN DID NOT HAVE A DATE AT ALL
    ON IT , THATS WHY THE SALE SAYS THE PREFECT HOLE FILLER COIN, AS A BUYER OR
    A SELLER YOU KNOW THAT THE REAL COIN IS LIKE A NIDDLE IN A HAY STACK WITH
    SUCH LOW MINTAGE. NOW FOR SOMEONE WHO JUST WANTS TO FILL THAT SLOT THIS COIN
    IS TOTALY PREFECT AFTER ALL WHOS TO SAY THAT IT ISN`T A 1856 YOU CAN`T SEE
    ANY KIND OF DATE ON IT. WHICH NOW WOULD LEAVE ROOM FOR ? TO ANYONE. THANKS

please say a prayer for someone that might need it due to haveing lost the
    faith in god. God will hear your prayer and send it to those in need. thank
    you

What a wild and wacky place ebay is.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an acid dip might bring the date out on this piece...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• HaHaHaHa..... I didn`t know that a 1856 Flying Eagle " IS LIKE A NIDDLE IN A HAY STACK " . Your right Tonelover, it`s a wild and wacky place. HaHaHaHa.....
  • Can you prove it's not from 1856?image
    It's the "hunt" that makes this such a great hobby...
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I have one of these and I always wondered what to do with it. No date. Can just make out the eagle.

EBAY here I come image
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there some kind of diagnostic for that, other than the digits :-) kind of like a 1916 standing liberty. Or is it just too wore down for that.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
    Some of the lettering can be somewhat of a diagnostic but then there are 1857 FE's with the obverses of '56!!!!!!

I would say the chances of that coin are 1500 out of 31+ Million being a '56.

Are the odds better on being struck by lightning?image
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    The auction is just a scam - A way to sell a $1.00 item for $40.00. The seller is just saying "use this piece of metal to fill a hole". And trying to give the impression that the coin is a real 1856. Sure, there is a very, very , very slight possibility that a Flying Eagle cent with a completely worn date MIGHT be a 56 Flyer - but lets stop trying to make any excuses for the seller here, this auction is BS and lies.

Unfortunately some gullible person, or maybe a kid, will fall for the deception and lies and another scam artist will pocket some more cash. image
    Some competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pix Suck on this one! I don't see anything on this one either. Judging by the condition of the other coins in this set I'd have to go with an 1857 or 58 CULL!!!!! Why would someone buy a real '56 and then have corroded and banged up common date indians. makes No sense.
  • you know, you can do the same for a hard date buffalo, and coming to think about it, a 1916 SLQ filler made out of a very worn down T-1, 1917. Has anyone seen a '17 like this?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We have examined this one and determined it to be a genuine 1856 ... >>

Yeah right - get it into an ANACS, PCGS or NGC slab - don't tell me "you" have examined it.

Once more:

<< <i>There's a sucker born every minute. >>

P.T. Barnum

<< <i>and two crooks to cheat him >>

W.C. Fields
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AFTER ALL WHOS TO SAY THAT IT ISN`T A 1856 YOU CAN`T SEE ANY KIND OF DATE ON IT. >>

Oh man, that's good. You guys must have gotten to him, though, he closed the auction.

Russ, NCNE
  • Darn, I wanted to buy that from her so I could get the "Texas seal of approval" from her! (see feedback)
    Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file