Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Peace Dollars??

I started assembling a complete set of Peace Dollars with my son (11 yrs) in hopes to get him into collecting. He are building an XF/AU set. Something fairly affordable. I will treat him to the key dates ('28, '21, 34S). We got about half finished and kind aof put it down.

I have read and heard that Peace Dollars are virtually dead. Which means it might be a good time to finish it for Xmas. BUT .. is this series going anywhere, especially in these grades?

Thanks for everyone's help!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Those grades aren't going anywhere but they don't need to for an 11 year old boy to have fun with the set.
    That's cool that you are treating him to the keys, the object of it right now is FUN.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Don't let a money/value thing spoil a good collecting experience with your son. If you can find something that keeps kids occupied and generally interested in nowadays, that can be priceless. Ditto what Dog said.....have fun with it. Good luck with your set.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Are you collecting a series because you like it or because you want to "invest"? If you are investing then you have the wrong grades, look at the pops for those Peace $s. Right through the roof. If you wish to gamble, I mean "invest", look at MS65+ Barbers, Seated material. However, investments and money making are better spent on real estate and stocks!
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Let me clarify what I was saying. We lost interest in the series and it seems like it doesnt have much appeal nowadays. We both think the Peace Dollar is an outstanding design. I dont expect an XF/AU set of Peaces Dollars will ever be worth much more than what we paid. Its definitely not about the money. But I was curious to know where the series stands with collectors.

The experience so far, both for me personally and for him as well. I took him to ANA this past summer. He participated in the YN coin auctions and won some nice pieces. He also has some great taste in coins. He like the classics. I think Shield and V nickels are his favorite. Although we do not own any. Seems, everything he liked was really expensive. Now he wants to go to Baltimore next summer for ANA again. I think we will go!!

It has been a great experience!!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Oh ok I didn't understand what you were saying. There will always be a few collectors that want high grade MS coins and may drive the price up a little but the series ranks pretty low with collectors.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file