Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now this auction was fun to watch!!!

Comments

• Options
    woah

That's...too much money for that. image
  • Options
    WOW. That is something. Registry sets do drive prices sometimes, don't they? Or is the price commensurate with the coin?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish i had a dollar for every time jpalcoins is listed in my auction watch files for jefferson's or has beaten me in an auction. whoever that is, they are a prolific buyer on eBay alone.

al h.image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

And the seller just made it.

Did anybody see what the 68-P went for?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Wow - and not even a pic. Sight unseen... what if it has some funky toning or other distraction?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    i wish i had a dollar for every time jpalcoins is listed in my auction watch files for jefferson's or has beaten me in an auction.

It sounds like you do, if you count dollars saved. image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Board member Numish sold the P model last week for $711. Now jpalcoins has a matching set of MS68s. image
    Notice you didn't see Dog97 after those overpriced coins!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Some little trustbaby with a Registry Set wishlist will probably pay $3,000 for the pair in a week. A fool and his money........!
  • Options
    If the buyer will patiently let his $1000 investment mature for the next ten years or so I'm sure that he will be able to see his $1000 turn into $40, maybe $50.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Hmmm, I think I am going to curtail my ebay purchases (except for a select few from trusted dealers) and start focusing on reputable online/offline dealers, coin shows, and the trade/buy forum here. As a born-again collector, I originally thought ebay was "da bomb" for buying coins. Seems I was right, at least for the classical meaning of the word lol.

There are just too many sellers putting up extremely high reserves and BIN's so you almost always seem to pay over retail, substandard coins, doctored up pics, scammers, crazy sniping prices, etc. Seems you either get a nice coin for lots more $$ then you would pay elsewhere, or you get overgraded substandard garbage. The party was fun while it lasted though, but it's past midnight and my horse is starting to look like an old mule.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I remember when my 97 P&D JFKs MS67s were pop1 and highest graded and all that. Now they are outranked but I don't care. My ms67 that cost $33 look just like those high priced ms68s. Well, maybe not but there isn't much difference between 67 & 68. Those Set Registry coins really generate some interest when they come up on eBay. I don't think the 68s will be outranked anytime soon or drop to the price I'm willing to pay. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was out "trick or treating" with the kids tonight and missed the auction. The winning bidder would have paid a bit more for the coin tonight if I had seen it before it closed (and I have no doubt he would have paid more). That is a very tough coin to obtain in true MS67 and better grade. Oh well. image

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 to nothing is a 1997 hockey score?...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Yes, I'm the evil monster that sold the 1997-P for $711. In the past year since I've been slabbing modern coins I've looked at tens of thousands of BU Kennedy Half Dollars and have certified hundreds of coins. After all that I have only been able to get 3 kennedy half Dollars graded MS-68. A 1986-D, 1994-P and the 1997-P. They are elusive coins to find. There is an army of dealers and collectors looking through mints sets and rolls trying to find these things and the populations have barely grown. On the surface it seems outragous that the coins bring this much money but if you ever tried to find one of these coins and have it graded you will soon learn they are not easy to find. I'm happy with what the coin brought but it did go too cheap. There is a dealer who is a board member who would have paid $1,000 for it if I offered it directly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file