Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New to the board

Hi,

I am new to chat boards and find reading them interesting.I have been reading this board for the past couple of weeks and have learned quite a bit about different sets already.I am presently working on a 56 set, PSA 8 or better. My set is entitled Vic's Project. I buy mostly off E-Bay and would appreciate any advice on other avenues to pursue. I have been collecting off and on since 1988,but just decided to go all out vintage and have always wanted a NICE 56 set. There are a couple of boards on the PSA network that have some real "winners "posting on them,but this board seems to have intelligent people on it that are really knowledgable and helpful. Thanks to all for the information that has already helped increase my card collecting ability. Also,I am very impressed with some of the sets that are posted on the PSA set registry.I am still learning about the PSA pop report and its significance as far as prices go.I am not sure about some of the prices that cards are going for on E-Bay as it seems that 8's are going for more than they should right now.Is that a trend or the norm?

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Welcome. You are at the right place... Good luck on your set.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    yes, agreed... welcome to the boards.

you will learn a lot here and feel free
    to share what you know too!
    ~jeff

(I just wish you had chosen a different icon...
    brings back bad memories for me, and others I'm sure.)

imageimage
  • Options
    I collect 7's, but what is true for those should be more or less true for 8's.

If a card comes up on eBay all the time, it tends to sell for under SMR, and if it comes up very rarely, it can sell for many times SMR. The pop report has something to do with this, but this happens with higher population cards as well.

You can usually get a good deal on stars, since they come up a lot.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Vic,

Welcome to the board. Feel free to share stories in your quest. The 56 set is not often talked about, and I for one, would like to learn more about it.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    VIC - Welcome aboard! Its good to see new blood enter the ranks of the message boards...jay
  • Options
    Hey Vic...

I echo playball in a big Welcome and would also like to hear some insight on your '56 challenge.

KING KELLOGG
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Vic, welcome to the wonderful world of graded card set collecting in general, and the beautiful 1956 Topps baseball set in particular.

Having just completed the set (presently weighted 8.0) after a 2 and a half year labor of love, I can definitely give you a few tips for your quest.

Remember, the fun and satisfaction of set-building comes from the hunt. Since most of the cards in this set are fairly easy to obtain, even in PSA 8 grade (the rarest commons having populations in the low to mid 20's), the joy of the hunt will mostly be in simply finding inexpensive ways to acquire cards on your want list.

The least expensive but trickiest way is to find and submit raw (ungraded) cards. This takes the most time and a good, educated eye. Most of the NM or better '56's have dried up as dealers are cashing in on the set-building phenomenon by submitting their nicest cards.

The next best way, as you know, is ebay. In my hunt for cards, I have come across your ID. As Brucemo states, now is the time to go after star cards, if you have the funds. Most stars, including the Mantle key card, are going for below SMR prices in PSA 8 or better. This will probably last as long as the stock market and the economy is depressed.

Look for cards graded by other reputable grading companies such as SGC and GAI. I have had great success in purchasing SGC 86's, 88's, 92's, and even high-end 84's (make sure centering is within PSA 8 standards) and GAI 8's that are priced well below their PSA 8 counterparts, so that even with the added grading expense, you can sometimes save big time.

Go to PSA or National card shows. You can find list of these on PSA website. There are dealers that have PSA 8 commons, and you can get a decent deal if you buy multiple cards.

Keep emails of sellers that you have purchased or won bids from previously. You can periodically send them your wantlist.

There are other sources, like telephone auctions, or other internet sites like teletrade that occasionally have '56 PSA 8's.

Good luck, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt!!

By the way, even though I have completed the set, I am still enjoying the hunt, as I still have 3 more PSA 7's to upgrade, and will also be looking for PSA 9's when my wallet allows.

JIM
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options

Vic

Welcome to the board ans as Scoop has said good luck in the 56 adventure and the thrill of the hunt is what I enjoy most. I need 5 more cards for my 68 set and need to upgrade 6 more. One more thing to consider is crossovers. But remember in the crossover game buy the card not the holder. Just as is the case with PSA ,SGC and Beckett have differant levels of grades inside what they post as the final grade. Example some PSA 8's just make an 8 amd some just miss a 9. Good luck and welcome.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Vic:

Welcome to the board. The 1956 Topps set is a very popular set -- and it should be a lot of fun putting it together!

I actually have two PSA 9's from the set that I was going to sell. I've already contacted someone -- and if that falls through, I'll give you a shout before I list them on ebay. One of them is a rare white back!

Good luck with your set!

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Hello Vic, and welcome

This board has many fine and sometimes differing ideas on how or what to do. It has by far the top info for cards from about 1950 to 1990.

Good luck on the 56 graded set, my personal favorite without regard to value, difficulty, or affordability. The last set before the modern, now standard size cards came about. I am lucky enough to have a complete set which is raw and probably rates ex to NM. My finances and other projects prohibit me from even thinking about a graded set. Of course it's mainly one's personal view but I think a sharp 56, front and back both considered, is as attractive as a card can get.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>This board has many fine and sometimes differing ideas on how or what to do. >>

Just don't load up on thousands of graded Canseco rookies and you will do just fine...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the warm reception. I am working on a new icon as I realized after watching this board that my icon had some "negative significance"attached to it.I also appreciate the advice on building my set.I have already been buying what I think are quality 56's in raw form to have graded. As for "the bobs"comment,How many do you want?? Unfortunately,I loaded up on Canseco a couple of years ago. Maybe if he has a son and he plays professionally,I will be able to unload them.IN AROUND 20 YEARS OR SO!!!! BIG MAYBE,HUH!!The idea of buying graded cards from lesser grading companies,That is a great idea.Can anyone tell me which companies come closest to PSA in grading if I was going to break the cards out and send them in to get a regrade.I already have most of the stars in raw form that I consider candidates for 8's as well as a couple in 9 that I was saving to put on the registry all at once so as to do something impressive.

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Mikeschmidt,

Please keep me in mind also if you still have those 2 PSA 9's available (email me at scoppe67@msn.com). If the number of the whiteback is between #1 and 100, it is more common. If it is between #101 and 180, it is the rare version.

Thanks Marc.

Vic, as I stated in previous post, GAI and SGC are the two best crossover companies. CSA can be ok, but there is a chance it could be trimmed. Forget FGA or PRO.

When will you be updating your set? I am looking forward to seeing what 9's you have. I also see that you bid on my PSA 8 Pee Wee Reese (my ebay ID is jps82949). It will be ending later on tonight. Good luck.

JIM

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9