Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Does VAM32 Mean?

MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
Hope i did this correctly. Can someone tell me what VAM32 might mean?
Thanks

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, VAMS are the numbering system for morgan dollar varieties. Here is the brief description of VAM 32:

"7/3 TF Variety". As the 2nd rarest 7/8TF variety, the VAM 32 is not only rare & desirable, but it's a heavy premium coin. VAM home page
  • Options
    It's a variety designation on a Morgan or Peace dollar from the book written by Van Allen and Mallis. I can tell you more about the particular variety if you give me the date.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am going to try and paste an ebay link so you can see the coin i was looking at

Hope this works

VAM32 Morgan

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I don't have a VAM book on me but is there a 1880S VAM32?? I know that there is a 1878 VAM32!!
    J'har
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Vam-32 S/S Doubled date

OBVERSE_ Entire date doubled faintly at very bottom right. First 8 doubled strongly on surface at bottom of lower loop. Second 8 doubled at lower left outside of upper loop. 0 doubled on left and right outside at top and bottom.

REVERSE_ Mint mark repunched with original showing as a curved line centered inside upper loop. mint mark is partially filled

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm

Mr Kelso,

VAM numbers are a number assigned to a particular obverse/reverse die marriage. The number assigned begins with the number one for each year AND mint. In this case, 32 would imply it is the 32nd die pair attributed for 1880 morgan dollars minted in San Francisco. NWCS gave you some of the diagnostics/description for a die pair of 1878, the Philadelphia mint. Toned dollars gave you some of the diags for a die pair of 1880, the San Francisco mint. I haven't verified either, but have no reason to dispute them. Explanation aside, the description in the auction doesn't even seem to take into account what appears to be the most significant characteristic for this attribution, the doubled date. The auction talks about some doubling on the motto, which the VAM book (I assume that is where Toneddollars got his info) doesn't even mention it. It could be doubling on the motto or it could be machine doubling. In any event, EVERY MORGAN DOLLAR HAS A VAM NUMBER unless it is a variety that is newly discovered and thus not yet attributed. Many people wrongly assume that because a morgan dollar has been attributed (identified by its VAM number) that it must be special and/or is worth a premium. That is not the case. Each and every dollar can be attributed, except as previously mentioned. Usually, only those that are included in The TOP 100 Morgan dollar varieties, or the Hot 50 Morgan dollar varieties, are worth a premium based solely on its attribution. Now, an individual collector may feel a premium is justified for a particular variety, but generally, only those identified as a Top 100 or Hot 50 can be expected to garner a premium from the general collecting community. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. This is an area I am kinda' fond of.

I try to identify each Morgan dollar I encounter by its VAM number. That way, I can convey the exact minting characteristics of the coin to whomever I may be speaking with. It is just a way to add specificity to a description - it doesn't equate to rarity or collectibility.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Thank you Gilbert that was very informative. I will pass this on to My Grandson who is the current owner of this coin.
    Grandpa gave him some money for his birthday and it burned a hole in his pocket and he headed right to ebay.
    Kids you gotta love em image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file