Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So you want to deal coins

Thought i'd share this story with everyone, i'm sure you will see more humor in it than i did at the time!image
I was set up at a small show two weeks ago, a gentleman was intrested in a 1984 BU. dime i had in one of my albums, it was a very good strike and was marked a whole 50 cents. He proceeded to haggle me down to 35cents, after all it was in a self seal 10 cent holder and i figured i was being more than fair with him.
Later on i was at another dealers table buying a couple coins for myself and this gentleman approached me and inquired if i would be willing to buy the dime back for a quarter since he had found a better one(he didn't say what he paid for the other coin), giving me a 10 cent PROFIT. image
I promptley reached in my pocket and gave him a quarter and told him to keep the dime with my compliments! Then i found out later from another dealer this gentleman was upset that i acted as though i didn't want to purchase the dime back! GO FIGURE. image
This is a true story although it made me feel like i was in the Twilight Zone! image

Should i call RIPLEYS???

Dave
Love those toned Washingtons

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty funny. Too bad you didn't say......."Well I can't really go quite that high......howz about 15c"
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    by the way.........be sure to remind me about the upcoming show. I am off on Thurs. and Fri's.

I'll try and bring my son! He loves looking at coins.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Or debate the grade image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Yeah thats the ticket image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Dave, It sounds like your kindness/generosity made him feel guilty. He was probably upset with himself, not you, but couldn't admit it. Or, maybe he was just upset that you didn't give him 50c instead of 25c.image
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel as if if there were two worlds., a normal world and a bizarro world we are not the normal one but the bizarro world.

With that said even though the guy was an idiot for wasting everyones time by returning the dime to you I think you should have been gracious and taken the dime back. Admit it, you wanted to shame the guy by making him keep the dime to point out how petty it was to return it.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew IT!!! You guys are making money hand over fist! A ten cent profit in ten minutes work...man I am in the wrong businessimage

Tyler
  • Options
    All i can say is, i try to treat people as i would like to be treated. image

Dave
  • Options
    Lousy crooked coin dealer!!

The customer you shafted will now have to go to the trouble of removing that coin from the self-seal holder just to recoup his investment. He might even break a nail, or something.

I bet the other coin he found was from an honest dealer who sold it for a fair mark-down to compensate him for the inconvenience of it being in a holder. 8 cents would be a fair price.
  • Options
    Supercoin, You're right. I hope the FTC dosen't come after me for consumer fraud. image

Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file