Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

V-nickel opinions

I just picked this one up and I should get it in the mail in a few days. I am not too familiar with these coins so I would appreciate opinions. Thanks Mike image
    obverse
      reverse

Comments

• Options
        dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
        horribly underrated series, & after 2c's & 3c's, the best bargain series out there. i'm glad to say i have a nice, complete set & sevral dupe's of my better coins.

the 1 you pic'd looks like a bu obv., au rev. probably due to bad digipic's though.

K S
      • Options
        RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
        I agree that it is hard to tell because of the poor scan. You want to look at the cheek, eyebrow and hair on the obverse for signs of wear to distinguish between MS and AU. On the reverse, look at the bow, wreath and V. Often, the stars on the obverse and left corn husk on the reverse are not fully struck, even in MS. Yours appears to show such a weak strike.
      • Options
        I agree with karl, this series does not get a lot of attention. I have been rounding out this series for a while now, and although I have not yet completed it, I am only down two coins - 1912-S and 1886. I would like to move these up in quality, and will tend to this when and if I ever finish my Morgan collection, which has been my top priority for a while now.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
      • Options
        darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
        thanks guy's, I bought the coin and it was desrcibed as being XF but to me it looked like an AU coin maybe even AU-BU. mikeimage
      • Options
        BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
        If you picked that one up for xf money, you did quite well. Tough to tell with thos ipix photos, but it looks like a nice, choice au coin, which seems to be the consensus so far. I'm not big into these coins, as a matter of fact I kind of don't like them. They're only nice, to me anyways, if all the luster is there, and they aren't urine yellow in color. That criteria takes a bunch of the examples out there, out of contention. I don't think the series will ever "take off", as it is so hard/expensive, in general, to find eye appealing examples.
        BigD5
        LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
      • Options
        Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
        That is what our buddy ElContador calls urine tone.
        Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
      • Options
        dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
        oh, & i am STILL looking for 1900 double die reverse. will gladly pay double sheet.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file