Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Novice Kellogg's question(s)

I'm not always diligent in checking this board, and this may have been asked already. Do the PSA graded Kellogg's ever "crack" after they've been slabbed? I assume a crack means VG at best.

I have about 100 of the first issue 1970s, which I understand may be more prone to curl. I have stored them in a variety of ways--sheets, semi-rigids, rigids, screw downs, or just raw in a box. I discard the cracked ones altogether-- I hate 'em. Yet, every now and then when I take a look see, a few more have become cracked-- not just little hairlines that you might think I missed, but big uglies.

My fear is submitting them for grading and then two years later or whatever find they've cracked. What's the consensus on this happening? Any info appreciated
regards..............Todd
Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
ebay id: nolemmings

Comments

• Options
    Hey Todd...

Yes,.. all Kellogg's cards (except 1973) are prone to cracking at any time......

There doesn't seem to be any special way to keep them from having "the big uglies".......

When it happens...forget about it!!!.... Don,t lose any sleep over it.......

Now there have been numerous threads about how to take the curl out of "K" cards........ A good resource is Zardoz and GEMMINTMAN threads....They own the top sets (at least 1970 sets) and have been cussin' those cracks and curls for years....

I feel that cracking usually occurs because of movement (the bending of the card)....Because the card is made in a "sandwich" application of paper and plastic. ...Physics dictates that the more you bend the card (ie: in and out of pages for veiwing) the more probable chance you have for a crack......

I have recently sent 1000's of Kellogg's cards to PSA for grading, and sure enough, one of them (I think it was a '79 Bench) came back a PSA 3 with a huge crack right across the middle....Gee...I thought it would be a lock 10 for sure!!! Ha'...

One saving grace is that I feel that when a "K" 3-D card is put into a PSA holder, it restricts the movement (bending), which should help.

One of the other board members also had a picture posted of a "K" card in a 9 holder. You guessed it.......a "Big Ugly" from side to side.

Hope this helps!!

KING KELLOGG

I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    This is the only K card I have ever seen that has cracked after being slabbed. Anyone else have one like this???

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Out of the one or two image that I have has passed either through my hands or kept in my own collection, I have yet to have one crack inside a PSA holder.

For an experiment, I'm going to warm up a slabbed K kard under a high intensity lamp and then stick it in the freezer just on the off chance that a rapid temperature change could cause this.

Look, It gives me something to do other than the "Viva towel test" or the Coke/Pepsi challenge. Who says that I have no life?
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    In case it does crack, be sure to use a common player. How about a Carlos May or Joel Horlen? image

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Robert

Thanks for that helpful tip!! image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The paint can and clothes dryer experiments have yet to be used on any of the Kelloggs cards!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Don't have a paint can shaker but the clothes dryer will get a unique experience today!
  • Options
    Perhaps go from the freezer to the clothes dryer???

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    The permutations are endless!!!

Zardoz, Man of Science !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Zardoz while you are becoming a True "Renaissance man" (just think Pasteur,Michelangelo, and Zardoz) why not try the Microwave at full power to do the Melt test? Imagine what an hour in the Micro could do to the 3D effect!
    I agree with Robert some silly common like Carlos MAy or Joel Horlen would be best . Interesting to note both of these players are White Sox could their be some tie to the Black Sox scandal ? Maybe we should get Geraldo on the case ala his special on Al Capone's Safe? I am sure he is up to the challenge( or at least needs the work)....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Send one with Dr. Ballard on his next "Titanic" adventure. That's a good pressure test. (or hold one in front of Rosanne while singing the national anthem...super pressure there too!!)
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Well experiment # one has concluded.

PSA ser # 40090914, a 1970K Gaylord Perry was placed in a microwave for 5 minutes on high. Upon examination, there was no visible cracking of the card, though the mylar envelope had constricted. The "hot" card was then put in the freezer for a period of 10 mins. Still no cracking. I then broke the card out of the holder and low and behold, the mylar had stuck, though was easily peeled off revealing that the plastic on the card itself had melted becoming a mirror surface other that the wrinkles from the shrunk mylar envelope, leaving a glossy photo lacking the 3-D effect.

The dryer is next!!! hahahahaha < zardoz demented laugh
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think we need to get brucemo involved in this one .....
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Z - If your wife sees you messing with "her" appliances, you may find yourself with an apron around your waist more often.image
  • Options
    Quick!!!! Someone give Z a glass of Kool-Aid!!!!

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Zardoz -- you're scaring me.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Hey Z!!! If I send you all my 1970 Kellogg's cards....would you work your magic and give them all that cool "glossy" finish?

I could be the first on my block to own the newfangled Kellogg's glossies!!!
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    I think you should put one in a bucket of dry ice.

But really, what are you trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to make one crack under sane circumstances? The nuker is probably not sane, nor is the dry ice.

When I did the clothes dryer test, I did it with the heat off, so that wasn't a heat test.

I bet they crack more inside PSA slabs than they do raw. I bet that holding them down contributes to the problem.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    BruceMo-

You're really the best. I LOVE the dry ice idea. My wife works in a science lab -- and I'm sure I could cajole some dry ice out of her in the interest of "baseball card science". But only if she could be first author on the published results.
  • Options
    curmudgeon...

Ya' see Todd what happens when you ask a simple innocent question less than 24 hours ago!?!?!

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF KELLOGG'S KOLLECTING!!!

Have a 3-D day!!!

KING KELLOGG

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Please do not dismiss my scientific experimentation with such disdain. A question has been posed by a member and I am doing everything in my power to replicate the circumstances by which a Kelloggs card can crack within a PSA holder.

They called Pasteur mad, Alexander Graham Bell insane, and the church persecuted DaVinci. None of them were able to crack a K card!!

Where they failed, I SHALL succeed! image
  • Options
    Z...

On second thought....I think I need to see WHAT you're adding to that Kool-Aid...Hmmmmm

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Thanks all for the info. I can barely read fast enough to keep with this dialogue, plus I find it best to remain silent while the great scientific minds are at work (don't wanna mess with their ju-ju).

rbeaton- I'd have to say I'd be more than steamed if my PSA 9 Palmer developed that facial. This is why I'm a little reluctant to collect Kelloggs issues. They are, of course, sturdier than most, and not as likely to develop corner/edge problems. I just get tired of explaining to my family why it is I'm weeping openly after looking at my carefully stored Kelloggs cards only to see developing jig saw puzzles.

In any event, I eagerly await the findings from the carefully crafted tests- anyone ever thought about taping one to a mud flap and seeing what a little highway drive might do? I know, leave the thinking to the thinkers. I'll go back to my spot now.
    todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings