Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Your Fantasy Coin: Oh, it's out there... you've just never seen it!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
I read an interesting Thread regarding eBay's sniping practices and the price break you might get by bidding at the very last second.
One author pointed out the pricing of a scarcer date "barely made it FN12" Barber half that is just not found in higher grades!
He spoke of being willing to pay 3X's sheet to obtain this prize. It made sense to me.

-It also got me to thinking: Are there coin(s) you've hunted and searched for but have never located? You KNOW it's out there! You've just never come across it, or when you finally did it just wasn't for sale. It doesn't even need to be a pricey coin- just one that is next to impossible to find, for whatever reason.
What is that coin for you?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    I've been looking for a 1949S prooflike Franklin for a long time - Oldcameoproofsguy has probably the most beautiful specimen of the coin I've ever seen. I'm not looking for one quite that jazzy, but a nice example nonetheless, they're so scarce that they hardly ever pop up on ebay - at least not to my knowledge. About 6 or 8 months ago there was one, but it was priced higher than I was willing to pay for it - oh well - I guess I'll just keep hunting!

Frank
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharply struck, gem uncirculated 1877 trade dollar!!!!!!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    braddick,

There are too many to list here. The coins I'd really like to have are WAY out of my financial range. image

A couple are an 1864 and 1865 two cent piece in MS67RD. Having trouble finding them because of their low pop, 1 and 2 respectively.

Conversely, do you have a coin/coins someone is looking for?
    Dan
  • Options
    Already own itimage

1974D Peac*ock Eisenhower in PCGS MS67.

Beautiful beyond belief. Probably the finest coin the world has ever known.

Was priviledged to own it for two years. Have committed to its sale. I guess even beauty has a priceimage

I'm sure the new owner will cherish it as I have.

Greg
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Have been looking for a really neat, colorful toned MS Peace dollar.....such as the icon that ArtR uses on these boards. We know there is at least one so there should be another......somewhere, right?image

C'mon ArtR......you played with it long enough haven't you?image killer coin!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Typetone- I believe I've seen that MS67 Peacock Ike (at Long Beach) and it is a stunner!
    These are also my favorite coins if anything, for the mystic surrounding their origin.

I always wanted a "Black Holder" NGC coin and was recently able to purchase one (thanks Dragon!) but I know that's really a 'holder' and not a COIN, so that probably shouldn't count.

Coin wise? Probably a true to life FA02 1976 Ike. I've got a couple of 1971/72's- those aren't so impossible, but the 1976? Up until now I hadn't even heard of their existance. Neither had PCGS as they holdered it and gave it a POP One!
    (I'm telling you: My kids are in for a rude awakening when I pass on and they are in a position of selling off my "coin collection"... image )

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick:

The 74D was not at Long Beach. It is still locked away in my vault, pending a sale. You can actually see the color through the safeimage

71s and 72s are pretty common in poor 01 through fair 02. I think I have a few rolls of them. If not I'm sure supercoin doesimage!!

Greg
  • Options
    This would have been two shows ago and if it isn't yours then there is a SECOND PCGS MS67 out there. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thinking back- was it in GSAGUY'S table? I think so. Maybe Bryan can shed some light on this.
    I'm like 90% it was a 74-D Peacock.

peacockcoins

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know where the Coin is. I know Who owns it. I know what he paid for it. Problem is there is No Way on Earth I can Afford the Coin Ever. image That is taking into account if the Owner would even sell the Coin. image Heck its just a Semi- Key Coin also.

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Lucy is in search of the 2 Holy Grails for Franklin half collectors, the elusive 53sfbl and the 59dcam proof...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Braddick:

There are more MS67s for the 74D date. It is certainly possible there is another Peac*ock. However, does the color and brilliance on that one show through a safe? image

Greg
  • Options

<< <i>Braddick: There are more MS67s for the 74D date. It is certainly possible there is another Peac*ock. However, does the color and brilliance on that one show through a safe? image Greg >>

Greg- I love these Peacock Ikes!

Is yours strong enough to stop Superman dead in his tracks?
    Can your Ike power a small city?
    Can yours make a blind man see?
    Is your coin hired out at night for 'search and rescue' missions?

If you answer 'yes' to any of the above you are a true IKE collector!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick:

Not only did it do your four things, but it:

Killed the Medusa,
    Lighted the sky of the Middle-Earth until the Silmarills were recovered,
    Served as the model for Van Goghs Starry Night, and
    Won World War 2.

Greg
  • Options
    Braddick,

I know GSAGUY had a 76-D Type 2 in MS-67 that was Peacock. His other piece 72-D or 74-D, can't remember, was only a MS-66.

And yes, that one could win the Cold War. Greg's seen that one too, so he knows what it's merits are compared to the one he's describing.
    Keith ™

• Options
    I have seen the 76D Type 2 PKOK in 67. It is beautiful, lovely, magnificent, and all the other superlatives. However, when I put it next to my 74D, it simply disappearedimage. Alas though, the 74D is now promised to another.image

Greg
  • Options
    Greg- a BlackHole Peacock Ike. I've only heard of them, but have never seen or witnessed their glory.
    Strong enough to suck the color right of the coins next to it!

All other color coins on the boarse blush in comparision.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>I have seen the 76D Type 2 PKOK in 67. It is beautiful, lovely, magnificent, and all the other superlatives. However, when I put it next to my 74D, it simply disappearedimage. Alas though, the 74D is now promised to another.image

Greg >>

Wow, that 74-D must have been stunning. In a room with 200 tables, I could see the the 76-D T2 from any point in the room, as it appeared like a searchlight in the night, calling to all tone collectors, "here I am, come and see me."
    Keith ™

• Options
    Braddick:

Not sure where you live, but it doesn't really matter.

Just stand outside and look North towards Alaska. You should be able to see the blaze and color from there. You probably thought it was just the Northern Lights.image

Greg
  • Options

<< <i>Braddick:

Not sure where you live, but it doesn't really matter.

Just stand outside and look North towards Alaska. You should be able to see the blaze and color from there. You probably thought it was just the Northern Lights.image

Greg >>

Now cleaning Coke off monitor. imageimageimage
    Keith ™

• Options
    My Fantasy Coins.....

#1. Heavy Cameo Buffalo Nickel
    #2. PCGS PF69 DCAM 1971S Kennedy Half
    #3. DMPL 1896O Morgan Dollar

Now all I need is Fantasy Cash! image
    Michael
  • Options
    Wow! That Ike sounds kinda dangerous...good thing it is in its own universe!