Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

MastroNet on the registry

I thought using the Set Registry to sell cards or sets of cards was against the rules. They aren't "building" these sets, they are just using the Registry as a selling tool, to bring more money for the sets in their own auctions. Is what they are doing "within" the rules?

Rick

Comments

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I brought this up last week and got a pretty tepid response.

1952 Topps and Mastronet
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I hadn't seen that thread Frank. At least I know I'm not the only one that thinks it's wrong. And considering that CU has their own auction house, why would they want to help a competitor.
    Besides, they just registered a 62 Mards Attacks set that knocked me out of the #1 spot. image

Rick
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    With due respect, the registry was designed as a marketing tool to encourage and further propel the hobby into plastic tombdom. Nobody ever said the game was for set builders and indeed the original model and incentive program was designed around entire sets being graded at the highest level and having a "pedigree" replete with customized psa holder labeling (which crashed after the T206 Harris Collection for incredibly lame "reasons"). I actually believe the way Mastro is registering their sets is exactly what PSA has in mind. Mastro paid the $$ to grade a monster and it is world class according to PSA, so shout it from the mountaintops, "behold the Mastros/PSA set". Everey effort PSA makes to vault the high end grade card market just brings in more business from us speculators. I also think PSA needs to enable a registry function to just roll-over the owner's name and save all that data-entry when we sell their "product" of registered sets. This is all in the infancy and will undoubtably take on it's own life. I think the registry is here to stay and will become one of the most influential forces in the hobby (not unlike Mastronet in some ways) and PSA holds the reins.
    ps- My #4 '69 supers set is being scattered to the 4 corners of our nation, if you need any 9's now is the time to grab Davalillo's scraps (terwilliger@charter.net)
  • Options
    Hear ya Rick: why would PSA help a competitor? Lately Mastro has been leaning towards GAI, so I guess PSA doesn't want to upset him. Sorry about you Mars Attacks set. Maybe the winning bidder will be a dealer and he'll break it up and sell the cards individually.
    Frank

• Options
    Actually their set is real nice. Maybe we can team up and win it, then divide it between us.
    Frank

• Options

<< <i>Actually their set is real nice. Maybe we can team up and win it, then divide it between us. >>

It's an awesome set. Every card is the highest known.

Murcerfan....I respect your opinion, but here is the rule exactly as it is written:

Buying and Selling Policy

"The PSA Set Registry is to be used to list collections of cards and is not to be used to sell cards. Listing a card(s) with the intent to sell it and/or pricing a card(s) in the registry will not be accepted. The set registry is self-policing. Should you see a infraction of this policy, please report it to setregistry@collectors.com. "

Rick

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Has Mastro listed this set "for sale"?
  • Options
    The reason PSA came up with those "rules" was because people were using the registry like they were running classified ads. People were listing cards with descriptions and prices with no intention of assembling a set. Mastro listed a set of PSA cards. That is what the registry is for. There is no indication in the listing that the set is for sale. If the set is later offered for sale, the ranking of the set among the other sets in the registry will be mentioned in advertising outside the registry in hobby publications and auction catalogs. This introduces the registry to people who may not have used it before. The more people involved in the registry the better. ANYBODY can do the exact same thing that Mastro has done. Many collectors don't have intentions of selling cards they list on the registry, but are often tempted by offers to buy something.

Some people even solicit tempting offers -
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=137908