Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc folks, Do we need/want a short set?

As I was looking at some of Billy Walsers beautiful sets, I noticed he had a short set of Walkers. It seems to me that there might be interest in having a short set of Mercury's in the Registry. I believe the 1934-1945 is considered the Mercury short set by many collectors.

This would let some of the folks who have a more limited budget to be able to complete the set in MS FB.

Apologies if this is going over ground that has been covered before or is in the works now. If nothing else it is time for a new Mercury thread!

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Options
    I am replying to this thread, only to let you know I am listening. It doesn't make any difference to me either way. A nice short set, is just as rewarding as the full set. image
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    About 6 months ago I emailed BJ about adding a short set to the merc registry . She in turn forwarded it to David Hall. He replied with a maybe. I for one would like to see one. If NGC has one ,why dont PCGS? If anyone else want one I suggest you email David Hall and let him know your feelings.

Walt
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    In my original post I didn't explicitly state that I would like to see one. I will work on the full set, but I just upgraded a couple of coins and like some folks here I kind of like my short set.

So let me be on record a supporting a short set, I hope everyone else will comment with their thoughts.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Spirt of Keeping Myself out of Trouble I will say, Let the Majority Rule. image

Ken
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the spirit of keeping a Merc thread on the top of the list, I say I don't really care.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    In the spirit of being a Lincoln collector, I will say that PCGS has much more important matters to worry about. Like whether there should be an early Lincoln short set.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the idea. It's a good way to get collector's started in the Mercury dime set. I'm sure there are other set that would benifit from short set as a starting point.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    I think if they do create the short set it should be from
    1934 onward not just the really short forties set jmo
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A short set would probably be popular, and attract participants who feel that the entire set is prohibitively expensive. A lot of the sets already in the registry have most, if not all, of the coins required. I suppose there would have to be 2 new sets added: a basic set and one with varieties.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK here it comes, the Trouble for me maybe.

If, and this is my opinion only, sub sets and variety sets are put into the registry a collector should make his/her decision of which set he/she wants to be registered in and stick to that decision. I say this only because it gives More Different Collectors the chance too have thier sets appreciated by the other series collectors. Heck who wants to see the Same names at the top of every set within a catagory. This is not a knock on anyone that is here now but I believe if some of the guys/gals that have the coins right now entered thier coins in a Subset newer Collectors would be Discouraged.

Please No Flames as this is just a Opinion. image

Ken
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ken,

Coins in the full set cannot be used in the short set. It gives more people, especially new collectors, a chance to be at the top of the list. I also agree with Tim, that the short set should be the "long short set" of 1934-1945, not the "short short set" of 41-45. There should be both a regular and a varities set.

It will not really effect me as I am already commited to collecting the full set, but had there been a short set like this when I started, I might have gone that way.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't really know how I feel about using the same coins in a short set that are already in a full set. Although I have noticed that there are 3 sets in the Walkers 1- Full set ,2 - Med (34-47) and 3-Short (41-47) and that some are using their coins in all three sets.

Jon
  • Options
    If you want a lower cost set that is completable, why not do a set of proof Mercs. They can be drop dead beautiful, you only need seven, and you need not spend a fortune to get a full set. If you have more advanced tastes you can certainly do the set in PR68 (with the 36 in PR67), and spend all the money you want.

The proof set is kind of like the set of Chopin Preludes. A blazing shooting star exploding into a burst of brilliance and color (good grief, why don't I shut up).

Greg
  • Options
    Here is an interesting question! How many Short sets are completed?
    I checked and didn't see a lot. I didn't check them all but even the short set is a challange. I would really like to see the set ratings reguarding short sets.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but look at it this way. A new collector sees a short set, wow I can collect that set!. He/she enjoys it, decides to collect the entire series, but wait a minute, they can't use the coins they just collected to put in a new set of the entire series. I think their reaction would be, this collecting thing is nutty.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    When the new collector reached the point where they wanted to go ahead and collect the full set, they could decide to delete some or all of the coins from their short set and enter them into the full set. They just could not use the same coins in both sets.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    I think we have agreement that the short set is 1934-1945. One other thing, about what coins could be used. There can only be one set of logic for using or not using coins. Whatever logic PCGS uses for one specialty set will have to be used for all of them. It is a programming issue.

At first I didnt think this thread had caused much discussion and I was going to forget about a short set. However, I now think that we should petition PCGS to set up a short set of Mercurys.

This is quite an active collector group, growing all the time, so I hope PCGS will work with us. I am going to let this percolate a little more for comment, but I will be happy to be the one to contact PCGS about setting up a new set for us.

Oh, one other thing. I don't think the varieties would be included as they are part of the main set, just MHO.
  • Options
    Question,
    Are the same coins allowed in both the basic set and the set with verities.

• Options
    Pat,

Right now you can put your coin in any set that it qualifies for. You can use all the coins in the standard Mercury set in the Varieties set. You just have to add the three extra coins. The same is true for all the other sets.

There was a thread about six months ago concerning the coin that could be used in the most sets. I am not sure of the winner, but I think it was an Accented Hair Kennedy.

The rationale is that Type sets should be able to use coins in a full set. I personally have no problem, if a coin is eligible for a set then you should be able to use it.

I also doubt that the spectacular high end sets would even bother with a short set. You only see the Beverly Hills Collection in one Mercury set, even though it could also be at the top of the other one.