Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Coin Entry to a Registry Set.

mids1999 Messed up his Registry Set. image When is the Correct Time to enter a New Coin ?

1. When You are Looking at it.

2. When you Bid on it.

3. When you Win it.

4. When you Pay for it. (PAY PAL means Immediately)

5. When Seller notifies you its shipped.

6. When Postman leaves Pick Up slip in Mail Box.

7. When you take possession of it.

8. Never because you sent it back.

9. All of the above except #8.

Hey has this ever been answered ? This could help some newer Registry People.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot when I enter the Coin.

Numbers 3,4,5,7,8.......image

And thought of #1 when it came to a 16D in high grade. image

Ken
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ken,

I don't enter mine until I have held it in my hand and decided to keep it. At this point I have either paid for it, or I intend to pay for it, as sometimes they are sent on approval. Seems the only proper way to me.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opps . I'm in trouble then as the new 25D is still in Illinois. Someone Must Slap me for this. image
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like rule #1
    That would save me lots of moneyimage

The truth is when I own and have the coin in my grubby hands
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I choose not to enter a coin till I have it in my hand........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I vote for after you physically have posession of the coin and decide you are keeping it.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    until you physically pocess it,it isnt yours
  • Options
    I admit, I have entered them right after they were paid for either with funds that cleared, or like paypal. I feel I then own the coin. But this has only happened a few times, like most of you, I generally wait till I see the coin, then decide if its a keeper, then enter it. I guess I am a BAD boy of sorts...ok, you have ten minutes to quit spanking me....imageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    only in hand and decided to keep it
  • Options
    I think PCGS should offer a way to add a coin to your set without adding it to the actual registry such as in my case.

I wanted to see how my set would move when I added the 1992S PR69 DCAM dime.

I added it only to find out that I could not remove it.

Something like a ghost registry where you could add and remove coins at will would be great.
    Then have the real one for coins that you really own.

Or allow you to remove coins from your registry set easily so you could play around a little with what if scenereos as long as you didnt keep a coin that is not yours in there over a set time period say an hour or two. The previous owner should be notified when this happens so he can make sure the coin stays in the correct set.

Another thing I would like to see is a setup where as soon as you add a coin the previous owner gets notification and the coin changes from his registry to yours even if the coin was not taken out of his sets. I am sure there are some people selling coins still in sets As in the case that if a collector had died and the person recieving his/her coins did not know they were in a registry set and sold them.

The previous owner should have control as to if the coin can be removed from his registry set or not so that someone could not just enter the number for someone elses coins and use them in their sets.
    I think a message to the origional owner and if the owner does not decline the action in a set period of time then the coins are moved.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I go with #3 (and payment is usually within hours) unless I think I need to examine the coin before knowing it is a keeper. If I need to examine it, I wait until I hold the coin and decide it is a keeper.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Ok guys, what's the deal that you can't wait until you have it in your hand, and decide that you want to keep it, before adding it to your registry set. Hey, we're adults here, put a little foam on those competitive fires! Many of us have been collecting for years, what difference is a few days going to make? I don't think it is PCGS's responsiblilty to make us a "what if" program. Now if one of you computer whiz guys wants to develop and market such a program for those that want to play "what if", then by all means do it and sell it to the "what ifer's.

On the other hand, if you have already seen the coin in hand, and know it is a keeper, or you trust the seller and know without a doubt you are going to keep it, or it was so cheap it doesn't matter, then "what the heck". I just want to know what happens when you have registered it and it gets lost in the mail and is never recovered!!!!!

Ken, 20 lashes, Dennis 5 lashes. Why am I doing this? Heck, I like these guys!

Ok, Ken and Dennis, PM me about when an where to get your lashes!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There're no "rules" beyond the fact that you own it. For my own purposes, I also prefer to have it in hand, approved and accepted before entering it in the set. But there's no reason for flogging if you decide you want to enter a coin after you paid for it on PayPal.
  • Options
    I personally never enter anything until I receive it and know I'm going to keep it. But any of 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 seem reasonable to me. I certainly wouldn't enter something if I had merely bid on it. I never enter coins to see what effect it will have (I am NOT faulting anyone here---I have a spreadsheet to do that).

I am a little surprised at what happened to mids1999. I believe that deleting a coin from a set makes it go away completely---of course deleting an entire set may leave it in the alltime, but it doesn't tie up the individual certificate numbers---new owner can enter them. I have many time deleted a single coin (usually by replacing it) and I have never heard of my buyer having a problem entering the coin in his set.

Pete
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It would be a moot point on the registry at NGC, they tell you what every coin scores, no need to play around.
  • Options
    Wayne, I am the one entitled to Ken's lashes....imageimageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    I enter a coin when I know its Mine Mine Mine !

Walt image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    One way to see what a coin is worth for a registry:

1. add all the weights for each of the coins in the set, this is TOTAL SET WEIGHT
    2. (coin grade * weight)/TOTAL SET WEIGHT = registry points

example: the Morgan Dollar TSW is 435. A 1904-S has a weight of 7 so,

an MS-64 1904-S would be worth (64*7)/435 or 1.029 registry points.

• Options
    When it's paid for.
    I feel that if something happens, at least it is recorded if I can't follow-up on it myself.
    Just a flag for my heir.
    If I don't want it after receipt, delete and return.

• Options
    what about the cam/dcam bonus points?
    How do they work into the equation? (grade * weight / total weight) where does the bonus go?
    Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey that's it fantasy Registry Set's !!!!!!!image
    NEWBIE, STILL HAVIN FUN !