Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone identify this "gold" coin? Interesting

This was given to my by my 97 year old Aunt who said she had it for over 50 years and that it was a $1 gold piece. I was really excited about getting it until I saw it. Obviously it aint one. image

Ive had it about 10 years now and no one has ever been able to identify it, never even tested to see if real gold. Thought you guys would find it interesting any way. Probably a give away at a gas station, bar or something of the like.

Hope the pictures arent too bad but this is a really tiny coin and thought it was shown off best this way.

No grading necessary, thank you.
"Marc with a C but call me MAX.

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I believe it is a replica of a Californial gold token and not a real coin or token. Sorry about that. There are a lot of those floating around.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

The California Gold pieces with a bear on the back are not genuine.

It's replica token worth about $1 - sorry

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Yeah, it does say California Gold on the back if you can read it.

Looked in every catalog under the sun and nothing even close. Know its a token or replica of some sort.

Nothing to be sorry about, knew it was worthless as soon as I saw it but its one of the few things I have from my Aunt so it is a little special to me.
  • Options
    RUSS-
    I really knew I should just have asked you. image

That indeed does look like my coin only not on a round planchet. Dont believe text mentioned round varieties but have not read it carefully yet. Guess the round is covered in your second post.

Nice website and thanks!!
  • Options
    RUSS-

Yes!!!! It does indeed seem that you have found my coin. Sly of you (as usual) not to state which one it is.

About 1/2 way down the page, 15 stars, bear has tail and SOLID GOLD. (Almost unweighable amount though) My coin is very heavily toned, cigarette smoke maybe? Bright on the high spots though. I am only in doubt of the poppies not turning downward but pretty sure they dont. EDIT: Just found what they were talking about and the petals do not turn down so verified on all points!!!!!!

You have truely earnd the title "Exert Collector" today, at least with me.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    thebestMax,

While it appears that Russ found your item (good job Russ!), I want to be sure that you realize it is still not a genuine Cal. gold token (none of the ones with bears are) and that, as best I can tell, it has no numismatic value. Though, as you mentioned, it has a great deal of sentimental value. Just want to be sure there is no confusion here.
  • Options
    Thanks, Coinguy 1

Happy to at least know it is important enough to have made "some" book.

I always say that "If there are 2 or more of anything someone will start a collection". My new Sig!

I would still like to know why these were manufactured in the first place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file