Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

real toning or fake? - Morgan reverse

What do members feel about the toning on this reverse - real or fake? If fake can dipping take away artificaly toned stuff without eating away the luster? If so with what? Acetone? Ammonia? Muriatic Acid?

How long? And Best method?

What about grade estimates (I realize its tuff to do on photo) - MS or AU - what about the horizontal lines on the eagles neck and right wing - normal or scratches?

Thanx for your input.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks real enough to me. What does the other side look like?
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Looks natural to me,.

Experimenting is some of the fun of this hobby, especially if that Morgan is a common date. You may want to practice dipping on some other silver like '64 Kennedy's or quarters.

Use something like JewelLuster and monitor your progress every couple of seconds. Rinse real well in distilled water and blow dry with a hair dryer on cold.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I won't dip it unless it was a common date and I could replace it if I did wash off the luster

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm not expert in assessing whether AT or OT on Morgans...but my first impression on opening up the pic of the reverse is it looks to be artificial...

i have a few deeply,uniformly,and completely toned obverse and reverse Morgans...

luster still shows through...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It looks original to me but ANACS has net graded it MS-60 because of artifical tone.
    I wonder what ANACS sees to make that call. It must be something with the splotchy rev.
    I wouldn't buy a $400 coin to try to doctor it up or salvage it without seeing it firsthand.
    To answer your question I think the obv would dip out ok but the splotchy areas on the rev would leave dull gray areas. It looks like it may have already have been dipped but was too darkly toned to remove it all and you're looking at the end result.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    your GOOD dog97 - but I didn't want to give away too much information - all those snipers around here - what I'm wondering was if ANACS net graded it to MS60 does that mean it could be a 62 or 63 or 64? Because 1896-O starts getting very valuable up there - or do you think it might be an ANACS gift?

edit-> oops 1894-O, I'll let someone else get it - reverse concerns me too much
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The last anacs at'd coin I saw anacs deducted 5 points au55-50.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the obv is around 63 or 4 but the hits on the eagle keep it around 61/62. It really doesn't look bad like it is. Looks like most ugly bronze toned O mints. I don't like ANACS's grading but I think they do a good job attributing problem coins and wouldn't try to second guess their designation on this one, especially from a computer pict. As long as there is a return policy go for it if you like it and the price is right.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Dog97 - you better start a collection for the 20million buffalo nickels you'll need on that MS67 nickel - I've got a couple dateless nickels I'll give you if you win that auction!!

Say, one of your dogs hasn't been walking on the keyboard has it?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a pict of obv if you have it.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file