Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Goodacre Sacagawea's What Are They

PCGS sets require Goodarce SAC's, NGC does not recognize them. What are they?
PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Glenna Goodacre, a famous sculptress was commissioned by the US Mint to design the obverse for the coin. She asked to be pain in sacs, $5000 worth. There is some controversy on whether or not they were specially burnished and rinsed. She had 2500 of them slabbed by ICG, they were sold retail for $200 by a firm in Georgia. When they hit Ebay they sold for between $600 & $1000. Some were autographed by her, with the thinking that they might be more valuable. PCGS chose to grade them and note on the holder the Goodacre designation. ICG Goodacres are selling for $350 to $450 on Ebay.

Here is the exact quote from the NGC board on their reason for not slabbing them:There have been numerous requests for NGC to grade and
    encapsulate the Glenna goodacre Sacagawea dollars so we welcome this opportunity to clarify our policy on them.

Although the Mint has said that the coins were “inadvertently” produced for use in “Uncirculated mint state sets” and not for general circulation, as stated previously, NGC does not differentiate between the two processes. Therefore, the only issue becomes the goodacre pedigree. Since the Mint’s intent for issuing these dollars was solely for payment of services rendered and not as a collectible, NGC will not
    designate the pedigree on the holder. All goodacre coins submitted will be treated like any other Sacagwea dollar and will be graded in accordance with NGC standards.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Too add to what was said, all 5000 were slabbed. The coins were specially prepared and handled, which is why most are very high grade. They have a distinctly different finish and look than regular circulation strikes(although I will say that circulation strikes have a variety of appearances). These coins were never meant for circulation, they were made, treated, and handled with kid gloves. They should be slabbed by NGC, one rumor I have heard is that NGC was mad because they were not chosen initially to slab the coins. They are a created rarity, but not intentionally for the sole purpose of simply creating a limited edition coin. Glenna Goodacre surprised the mint when she chose, wisely, to have the coins encapsulated and numbered. As to their numismatic value, it all boils down to whatever floats your boat. People spend tons on Proof coins, personally I would not care to collect them. In my opinion the early 20th century produced the most beautiful coinage in US history, but not everyone feels that way. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    These are difficult to photograph, the color never comes out accurately, but here is a Goodacre.

• Options
    If you're buying one, look for the signature glossy "wet" look, not all of them have it. It's a different look than a coin that is simply prooflike.

Also be wary if buying one in an ICG holder. Since ICG doesn't assign them a numerical grade, and PCGS does, nicer coins are likely migrating to PCGS holders while the dogs stay behind.

FYI, the reason ICG doesn't grade them (last I knew) was because they felt they were post-strike burnished.

There is very convincing (to me) evidence to the contrary, including a nice writeup in Coin World a while back by a principal grader from ANACS.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those coins I place in the "fun" catagory. I own one, a PCGS MS66 (I don't know why it's 66- looks better to me, but who cares, right?) and simply have it in a box of other coins I don't really ever plan on selling.
    For a Modern coin it is attractive.

peacockcoins

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    > Since ICG doesn't assign them a numerical grade, and PCGS does, nicer coins are likely migrating to PCGS holders while the dogs stay behind.
    Spoken like a true player of the game image

Mine are in the original slabs because I have no intention of selling them and I don't have a Sac registry.

-Khayse
  • Options
    Hehe, actually no I sold all but one of my ICG Sacagaweas before PCGS started grading them. And have purchased few since, so I can't say for sure that's happening, but I expect it would.

I have seen evidence of that happening with Millennium Set Sacagaweas, which have the same issue (PCGS grades, ICG does not).