Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OK BUST HALF DUDES WHO HAS THE MOST KNOWLEWDGE!!

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a 1830 Bust Half that I have determined is a small O variety. Well thats great you say, you have narrowed it down to 23 die varieties.

OK It is not the Large letter reverse.

For 1830 the mint recorded 4,764,800 half dollars coined. Among these are 23 different Varieties from 15 obverse and 20 reverse dies.

OK, the edge has on it: FIFTY CENTS OR ALF A DOLLAR

OK this is the biggest scan I can give.

Does anyone have an OVERTON BOOK!!

I would very very much appreciate a O number before I have this wonderful coin entomed in plastic forever!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going by the book it looks like a medium O .??.Al
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I guess you didn't like my response the first time you asked the question. I spent about 30 minutes in the Overton book for you. To be accurate you have to see the coin in person and do some measuring. Without that possibility, I stand by my previous guess.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the Overton book for attribution. It's not even accurate anymore for census info. I heard that the Peterson book is much better for attribution because it doesn't require you to have to measure fine distances...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    I understand his book is better too, EVP and if my interest continues in the series I will pick it up. The diagnostics that he shows for this year indicate its a 112, guessing of course because I don't have the coin in my hand. But its the only reverse description that I could find that matches the photo.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, thank you for your work for a total stranger like me. I did appreciate it and made that my starting point for research.

I am going to get a overton book today from a freind. I think with the edge this has, it is a o112a This would make it a R4+ coin.
    However I can barily see the "A" in the partial word "Half" on the edge.

Thanks again!!
  • Options
    I hope the page I emailed you helps and anytime.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file