Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this toning look original to you?

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
And do you find it attractive?

You guessed it.....I do....

2 Bits

Dave
Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I guess every coin needs a good home image

If you like it, try to get it...

• Options
    I'm really not qualified to judge the originality, but I find it somewhat attractive. I would probably prefer it over a white model. I find that thick, "scratchy" toning like that sometimes obscures the design too much for my tastes.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "potential" problem with this coin is the luster. Many, if not most, coins with heavy toning have dull luster. This coin may very well have that problem but since it is a photo it is hard to tell. That is the reason why personally I don't care for heavily toned coins....

When it comes right down to it the eye appeal for a coin is about 80% in the luster.....

jom
  • Options
    jom is correct, nothing worse than a dull skin! No, that is not original, original is the way it came from the Mint!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    The quality of photos as far as clarity and color from Heritage are very poor and I could never make a purchase decision from them.

You would think a big company would provide better images as it would be in their interest to do so.

Many members on this board can do a better job of photography.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Looks original to me. I don't find it very attractive, although I don't think it's hideous.
    Jom brings up a good point concerning the luster. This is where an Anacs ms/65 can be a bit overgraded in my opinion. I like to see abundant luster on 65+ coins. Anacs, moreso than the other grading companies, or so it seems to me, puts out the 65 grade to coins lacking in the luster dept. sometimes. Not that big a deal to a lot of collectors, but I think ngc and pcgs put more emphasis on luster than anacs, and this can prevent some anacs coins from crossing over at times.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes that is original toning. I really like this type of toning! I prefer a coin like this over a dipped white coin anyday. And the good part is most others don't like this kind of toning so they are cheaper for people like us. image mike
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It has pretty colors but it looking like the paint is chipped off is a big turn off for me. It looks like an Anaconda reject.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file