Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

photograde or ANA grading book?

I've got a $15 credit to burn on Amazon.com. Which grading book is better in my reference collection? Are there other nice coin books (not for newcomers) you can recommend?
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I really like photograde!!
    I use it all the time. I would recommend it highly.

edited to ad......after reading all these responses, I guess I will be buying the ANA book at Baltimore!
  • Options
    I would have to go with the ANA guide. I just think it is more comprehensive. If you were to buy a second one, I would suggest the PCGS guide but it is a litle more pricey and a little more advanced. Photograde is ok as a quick reference guide but I just don't think it is as comprehensive as the other two. I do own all three.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    They are both good but like Goose I like PG for ease of use.
    ------------------------ Gary
    ºoº coinhead1.
    Never act dumber than you are period
    imageimageimage
    Meg Ryan Amanda Tapping Dana Delany
  • Options
    i would say go with the ANA, I lost my ANA book and had to start using my photograde and the photograde book dosn't explain very well what to look at on circ. grades. I miss my ANA bookimage
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree, If you are only getting one, the ANA book would be a better place to start. The photograde does not take into account striking characteristics on different dates as well and could possibly be misleading on some of the series to a novice collector, if just going by the pictures.

Descriptions are better in ANA book.
    jim
  • Options
    I have both and prefer the ANA book. I think it gives better descriptions, and I like it's format better. Frankly, in my limited experience, you'll find very few people (dealers, collectors, or slabbers) who grade by the standards in either book. Is this gradeflation real or just my imagination?

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    photograde for the most part the coins are all overgraded and coins most do not look like the photograde grades in circ!
    if you want a real grading book with real grades then brown dunn that is waht you should invest your hard earned dollars on

now grading mintstate coins
    and higher than proof 62 proof coins both pre 1950

you need a good magnifyier a good memory/brain and 20 years experience at looking at coins talking to other collectors and reading all the known reference works on a particiular series of coins!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA- it goes beyond AU and gives more detail... also contains general things for each grade not specific to a series.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I have Photograde, and was a little disappointed with the pictures. So I just ordered the ANA Grading book online yesterday. So I can't really compare the 2, but from what I heard, I wanted to check out the ANA Grading book as I think it will be better than the Photograde book.
  • Options
    I just purchased the ANA book. I like it a lot, as it really takes you through each coin.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    I bought both and prefer the ANA book.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    anyone have a ANA book for sale if not where and how much can i buy one (i lost mine, oh well it was falling apart anyway)
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I have the Photograde book but don't use it often as my interests are more with MS coins, so I have no real input to your question.

• Options
    While at the Long Beach show I bought A spiral bound ANA Guide that I like alot,stays open and lays flat which is real handy for me.It's the latest Ed.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    I consider the ANA to be the better.
    It's the "hunt" that makes this such a great hobby...
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would suggest both; you can never have enough reference material.

If you absolutely must use your credit now, but will eventually, get both, then get Photograde. The ANA reference has a 6th edition due out soon, so I would wait for it. Although I wouldn't grade by Photograde exclusively, it has more than just grading info and is a good base of reference.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    If I head to the bookshelf for a grading guide, I reach for the ANA guide. I also have the Photograde book, but only look at it sparingly, compared to the ANA.
    Michael, I haven't seen anyone use a Brown and Dunn book in a very long time, and after you mentioned it, realized I don't have my copy anymore. image
    The books work for circulated stuff, but the descriptions concerning Mint state coins are too vague for accurate interpretation and as Michael mentioned, a whole bunch of experience is needed to become proficient with these grades.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    I find that the photos in the early editions of Photograde are alot clearer that the later editions. I have several grading guides, both with photos and line drawings, and use them all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file