Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How to Figure Value of Signed Baseball

I'm good at this for coins, but sports items... I have little clue.

A friend of mine has a baseball with multiple significant signatures on it. Micky Mantle and Roger Merris (sp?) are the two that come to mind. The ball has been certified by PSA (I don't even know if they grade as well as authenticate). How would he try to determine a fair market value short of listing it on e-bay? I guess I'll go look on e-bay for other sales...
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    There are several factors that determine the value of autographed baseballs.

*condition - of autograph and of ball. Autographs may bleed, diminishing value. Balls tone through the years, again bringing value down.

*theme of ball - sounds like you may have a 61 Yankees ball? Collectors collect autographed baseballs with themes, and it's these thematic balls (world series teams, 500HR/3000hit/300 win) clubs, that command higher prices. Of course, exceptions exists (Munson, Clemente, Williams, Mantle, Maris, etc.) where just the appearance of a certain player's signature is in itself valuable.

*type of ball - autos on official baseballs typically are more valuable than those on unofficial balls.

*authenticity - you say it has been certified by PSA. That's a good start. Add in the factors above, and you have a start at determining the value.

I have several autographed baseballs, mostly single signed balls. But I do have some Yankee team balls from the mid to late 80's that I have no idea what they are worth. I will probably submit them to PSA soon.

Hope this helps. If you have a pic, I'd love to see it.

Mark

• Options
    itsnotjustme...

The grading of an autographed baseball is not unlike grading coins. As you said, you have some experience.... Use the same terms you would use in the coin business...Mint, near/mint, xf, vf, etc.... A mint ball would be described just like a mint coin..That is NEW, FACTORY FRESH.

First and formost...Is it genuine???...There is a ton of auto's out there that is not. A good first step is contacting James Spence at CU.

Second...What is the condition of your baseball???...New, not, scuffed, handled, etc. Make sure that you inspect every stich, just like you would a Morgan Dollar or type coin.

Third...2nd. opinion??? Most people in the coin game have shows in their area. It's no difference in the sports card hobby. In fact most of the really big shows have cards, coins, etc. Attend the show and simply ask the dealers "what do you know about this item??" I'm sure you will get information that is helpful.

That's my suggestion (about $.02 worth)

KING KELLOGG

PS...If the ball is a fake...Let your kids bat it around..They'll knock the signatures right off!!!
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks... the ball belongs to a workmate. I'll pass the advice. As stated, it is authenticated.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    If you have a Mantle and Maris PSA/DNA ball, I would not sell it on eBay. I would go to an auction house. I could be wrong, but I thought a lot of those balls were deemed fake and not a lot are around.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards