Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

why oh why?!?

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why are threads that criticize PCGS necessarily pro NGC, and vice versa?

THREAD

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    EVP,

Because you have to choose sides. You can't accept the fact that both companies have merits and that solid coins reside in both holders.
    Keith ™

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He can't? I do! image
  • Options
    TDN, you're kind isn't welcome here. Begone before another ostrich pulls their head out of the sand. image
    Keith ™

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    No side-choosing is required. Each service has plenty of good to offer collectors, dealers and the hobby as a whole. Anyone who blindly supports one over the other in all cases is hurting him/herself.
  • Options
    BECAUSE we all know better,there are certain coins that do better at 1 company than the other,we just have to accept that as collectors,and we have to figure out which ones they are,so we can stop banging our heads against the wall and asking ourselves WHY, WHY WHY did this come back at this grade,i should have sent it to ngc or vice versa.
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    Because you have to justify your grading comparisons by disparaging the other companies. If you don't then you have no basis to state that a particular company is "better" than the others. In my case, I have most of my coins unslabbed and therefore don't have any actual experiences with the major slabbing firms. Therefore, they are all "good" and "bad" from my viewpoint.image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i> BECAUSE we all know better,there are certain coins that do better at 1 company than the other,we just have to accept that as collectors,and we have to figure out which ones they are,so we can stop banging our heads against the wall and asking ourselves WHY, WHY WHY did this come back at this grade,i should have sent it to ngc or vice versa. >>

Then should we all just send our coins to ACG since they do better there?
  • Options
    Robertpr - Yes absolutely. image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    why ask why?

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Because that's what politics has taught us for most everyone's lifetime...that one should ignore the issues on a point by point basis and make a single judgement call by which all other opinions MUST be based. It's really much easier than it sounds; let me give you a good grading service example:

In my opinion and to the best of my knowledge PCGS is stricter than NGC on high grade red Lincolns. By extension the following other items must also be true:
    1. PCGS is more consistent than NGC in their grading of high grade Lincolns.
    2. PCGS is more strict AND consistent in the grading of all Lincolns.
    3. PCGS is more strict AND consistent on ALL series of coins including unrelated series such as Seated Dollars (just as a for instance image).
    4. Therefore, because of the preceding logical statements, it is easy to deduce that PCGS is in every way superior to NGC and any conversation regaling the benefits of PCGS should also be considered a slam on NGC and since it is a slam we might as well point out the obvious.

I hope this helps, EVP.image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Rella, now that I think about it, that is exactly why I submit my coins to PCGS...because they are tougher on high grade red lincolns, which I of course do not collect imageimageimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........did you hear the one about the three legged dog that walked into a bar?

al h.image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...But I know a great 3-leg pig joke! Both would work. K
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    WHat about the 3-legged ostrich joke...

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Ostrich has 2 legs and a small, recessed nubby...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    and the three-legged dog said, "I'm looking for the man that shot my paw!". The one I like better is the horse that goes into the bar, and the bartender say, "Say fellow, why the long face?"
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    ...........OK smarty-pants don!!!!!!! image did you hear the one about the guy that walked into the bar with an alligator?? image

al h.image

Jack who??
  • Options
    no Al. ?????image
  • Options
    well, it's kinda long. i'll type it out over at the testing forum and if it gets by the old censoroo maybe i'll post it. makes me think there sure are a lot of animals that hang out in bars!!!image

al h.image

---a man walks into a tavern with an alligator, sets it up on the bar and orders.
    Man:let me have a shot and a beer.
    Bartender:sure pal, but first you'll have to get that alligator outa here. they're kinda dangerous ya know.
    M:not a problem, this ones tame.
    ---he opens the alligators mouth and holds his arm inside, nothing happens.
    M:ya see, tame. now gimme that shot and beer.
    B:no doin'. now get it outa here. i don't want no trouble.
    M:look, he's perfectly tame.
    ---he opens the alligators mouth again and sticks his head inside. nothing happens.
    M:now gimme that shot and beer. i'm gettin' kinda thirsty here.
    B:listen, i don't wanna have to call the cops.
    M: OK, watch this.
    ---he opens the alligators mouth again, unzips his fly, and places his genitals image inside the alligators mouth and starts hitting it on the head with a pool cue.
    M:there, ya see. do you think anyone else would try that?
    ---just then, an old toothless woman pushes her way through the crowd and up to the bar.
    Woman:well, i will if ya promise to put down the pool cue!!image
  • Options
    Roflmao.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Did you hear the one about the skeleton that walked in to a bar and ordered a beer and a mop?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DOH!!!!!! image

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file