Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

? on a 1963 Half

I got this unopened 1963 proof set and it looks great. I turn the coins over and the half has a weird pink toning on the bottom part of the bell and starting on the top left part of the bell. The picture really doesn't show just how pink colored the toning is. Is this normal? It is very pretty. Should I just leave it and possibly the whole back of the coin with tone like that? Thanks for any advice. The coin looks very well struck to me. Maybe I should get it graded?

Lori

Comments

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Pink, huh? Don't know what to tell you. I can tell you that a "proof" coin SHOULD be well struck. It may not be cost effective to have it slab unless it would get a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation. That image doesn't appear like it has the contrast for either designation.

Ya' know, Lori, the more I look at it, the more I question if it is actually a "proof" coin. Are you sure you don't mean an unopened "mint set"? How many coins are in this set? Forgive me but I just can't remember how the 1963 US Mint Set is packaged. If it is a "mint set" it does look very well stuck and may be worth encapsulating. Let's see the obverse?
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Sorry, It was in a mint set in the brown envelope. It was unopened. It is pink the toning or whatever it is. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    I am still hoping someone can help me on this coin. I would like to know if it will continue to tone this pink color if I leave it in the mint set. Or would it be better if I get this coin graded. I tried to get a better picture of the pink toning. It is very pretty and quite pink.

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    If the coin is pretty to you and you want to keep it in your collection, then getting it graded may be a good idea. It is hard to see the pink in the photo but I believe you, its always very hard to judge from a photo. One thing I would consider is does this piece have Full Bell Lines? FBL's are tough in a 63P. Look at the lowest rolls of lines on the bottom of the bell. Do they go straight accross without any breaks or interrupions in them?
    Check this thread for a nice picture of a FBL half: http:Link

If it is an FBL, I would really want to grade it.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Lori, you have a proof set. Sometimes the coins tone in the sets that way, the plastic punctures and with some moisture, the chemical from the plastic and envelope you can get some narly colors. As far as getting them slabbed it is up to your budget and likes, but I like to have some of my better toned proof coins slabbed.

Here are some cool coins that I have in a proof set...

pink quarter proof

green cent proof

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I think I saw the back portion of the Proof Set Foil crest seal thingy...does it look like this?

Proof set Foil thingy

My guess is that one of those is in the holder of your set...if so, you indeed have a proof set...as well as the coin looking to good, and in combo with what I gather from the picture of the coin in the packaging it looks to me like a proof set.

The foil thing does say mint, but that is in reference to the Title "US Mint" (the manufacturer of the coins) not "Mint" state.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Whoops, I thought it was mint set we were talking about.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Yes, it looks like that. I thought it was a proof set but an earlier message confused me. Thanks for the info. From what I can tell it looks like a full bell lines to me. So I am going to submit it and see what happens. Thanks again!

Lori
  • Options
    Lori,
    I have a 61 Proof set with the same pink toning, as long as you leave it in the same enviroment, it will keep toning. As far as slabbing it, I would let it tone for a few more years.
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I think the coin will tone a redish brown. hope its tones to your liking. I have been play light and some silver and a proof half a a se. the eagle is toning gold the half ain't doing anything.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file