Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$25 mint sealed Box of $.50 rolls........

of 2002 D pennies. Never opened. Is there any premium for something like this? The only way I know that it is Mint sealed is that all the rolls are new pennies.

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    IN ABOUT 25 YEARS THERE WILL BE

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IndianHeadMan,
    Your box was probably packaged by Wells Fargo or some other service that sorts and rolls coins for the banks. I am not aware of the mint rolling coins, they ship in bags.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Must be fed wrapped then. Because they were ordered from the fed reserve out of KC. they must of rolled up a bunch of bags from the mint. It seems rare, packaged like they are.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not aware of the mint rolling coins >>

Maybe they don't but I buy Sac dollars all the time, the rolls claim to be rolled by the US Mint. They are clearly labeled.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LucyBop,
    The mint rolls the coins for collector sales, but do not roll the coins for distribution to the banks. The bank I deal with uses Wells Fargo and they roll the coins. I've asked them to get me bags, but they tell me they can only order boxes already rolled by WF. I personally don't care for the rolled coins due to scratches, etc from the counting machines.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I have to disagree, I am holding in my hand a roll of Sac dollars and the label is indicating they are straight from the mint, but, maybe as you say another company does this. This sure seems to be their doing though. These rolls I get come from my credit union.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I just went to the mints website and the wrapper they use to roll the Sac dollars is identical to what I can get at my credit union. My Credit Union must be able to somehow get them from the mint. Also, in Portland (When Lucy lived there) I use to get them in the same wrappers from another credit union.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    I've got the same rolls--yellow and black, right?

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct, the Mint does roll certain coins. Like Mike said though, for collectors, i.e. the Sacs, the Statehood Quarters. All the others haven't had the collector demand and are distributed by the Feds or Third Party "Rollers". You'll also notice the quite "subtle" markup the Mint places on their rolls also! Dave
  • Options
    The mint DID roll and distribute the new dollar coins to banks back in 2000. It was part of their effort to get the coin into circulation. Many small banks complained of not being able to get the new dollars their customers were requesting because their parent banks would not order them from the Fed. So the Mint rolled the coins and allowed banks to order them directly from the mint bypassing the normal ordering proceedures and they delivered the coins at no charge. This didn't settle too well with collectors as they did this a month or two AFTER they had been selling the rolls to collectors at $35 per roll plus shipping. Suddenly they could get the exact same rolls at their local back that they had had to pay a premium to the mint for. It didn't really help the circulation of the coin but it did put a LOT of mint rolled dollars in the market place. These are the only coins rolled by the mint that have been distributed to banks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file