Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan Pre-Slab Grading Document?

I recently purchased this coin which came with the grading document which features photos of teh front and back of the coin. I had never seen this before. Do the document and coin described have enhanced collector value?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Comments

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe so; it is merely and authentication as genuine.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Frank,

The coin will have to sell itself. One of the problems with those old certificates was that sellers could substitute coins and try to sell a coin as a certain grade when it wasn't even the one noted on the certificate.
  • Options
    true Mark.

In hand, the document is surprisingly detailed and I was able to compare the coin to the photos mark for mark. It is indeed the coin, and the coin does sell itself, as it a beauty.

thanks!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    If the photo is black and white, it is one of the rarer Anacs certificates (I think). Condor101 would be able to give you all the details. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    it is a black and white, and the certificate does have a blind embossed seal between the two photos which would make it tougher to replicate.

I would be interested to know more if anyone has epxerinece with these.
  • Options
    You have a fourth generation ANACS certificate. They were used from July of 1980 through 1982 and possibly for a short period in 1983. the latest i have seen was dated 6/82 but it my sample size has been small. It is actually one of the more common ANACS cetificates since it had one of the longest issuing periods. The photos of the coins are not a printed picture but actually a true photograph of the coin so a magnifier can be used on the photos to examine them for small "fingerprints" that will identify the specific coin as being the one on the certificate.

At this time the certificate does not add to the value. But if I ever get the book out maybe interest will increase and the early holders and certificates will develop some value.

Any other questions just ask.
  • Options
    Condor:

Thanks!

as this is a high enough grade coin to have successfully "filled this spot" in my Morgan collection, I expect I will have this a very long time.

In which case - get working on that book! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file