Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Average condition of coins in mint and proof sets?

Can someone please help me with some statistics

What the average condition of a coin in a mint set?
If it varies by year lets use 1986 for an example.

How about proof sets?
Please use same year for the example.

I am not gonna break these up.
I am just wondering what the averages are.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Options
    1986 Mint set - average condition is uncirculated
    1986 Proof set - average condition is also uncirculated

Or are asking for an MS60-MS70 type number?
  • Options
    I am asking about a ms-60 ms-70 type number
  • Options
    It varies alot. I'm not sure an average is really a meaningful measurement. I say this in the respect that some batches of mint sets seem to have really nice coins in them, other will have a bunch of dogs. I guess from all of the mint sets I have looked at, I would say the average coin would be MS62 or 63. But once again, there may be 4 MS62s and one 65. Do you see where i am going?

Proof sets, at least post mid 70s, tend to have nice coins in them. Storage really will affect the grades that these coins will be able to receive. I have seen many sets that have heavy ugly toning, or blotchy toning which doesn't dip or curate off well. There are many 68 and 69 coins out there, but few sets have all 69s in them.

Just my experience not very well described. need more coffee image
    '
    Greg
  • Options
    Thank you for the great detailed reply.
    Mike
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I can tell you about my sets. In all of my mint sets, the average grade is around MS-63. Some are nice, but most have enough marks to be annoying. For my post-silver era proofs, I'd give them all an average of PR-67DC because many of the 80s ones have toned some and it ain't the prettiest thing I ever saw.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1986 mint set quality is very good. Very few low end coins are in this particular
    set and the high end coins are among the best. About 8% of the cents stand out as
    being very high grade. They'll have only minimal marking with superb luster and sur-
    faces. Nearly half of these will appear perfect to the naked eye. Phillys are a little
    tougher. Nickels are only a little better than other dates from this era. This date does
    appear with beautiful satiny surfaces though so the 2% that are high grade almost look
    proof. Some of these look burnished. Dimes of this era are pretty nice and these are
    typical. Quarters are great! Lots of pieces which are superb. Some appear burnished
    and strikes are great. Around 5% stand out from the rest. Halfs are like the quarters,
    but the gems are less numerous. Mint set 1986 half dollar gems are spectacular though.
    The "D's" are easier than the "P's".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Do all the Kennedy Halfs in the `02 mint sets have scuffed beaks on the reverse eagle?image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    For proof coins, get a PCGS pop report. Pick a year and figure the average grade for that year from the coins PCGS graded. Take that number divide it by two and add 30. Try it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file