Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Three questions on 1902-S Morgan

Three questions on this 1902-S Morgan

Is this a scratch or something with the die on the front right field of this 1902-S Morgan?
Why did this one get marked as scratched by anacs?
Is this a VAM?

Front
Back

Thanks
Mike

Ever thankfull for the great info provided on this board.

Comments

• Options
    1. If you're talking about that little crater just to the left of the "M", that's a so-called "bag mark" -- named after what coins like to do to each other while smashed into a bag. Note the little pointed parts that correspond to the reeded edge of another coin.

2. Due to the numerous scratches. image Hard to pick just one from the photo, but just above the date looks like a staple scratch.

3. Hopefully, and a good one at that! The condition of the coin doesn't look like it really warranted certification otherwise. But I'm clueless on VAMs.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Supercoin that the scratch that tells is below the neck. This coin has its share of bag marks and rim tracks.
    I don't really collect Morgan var but the 1902-S has its share. This looks like the small s alleged according to Breen to be from the quarter-dollar punch. If so it is a rare var. There are lots of Morgan experts on the forum who should be able to help further.
    Trime
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    The neck scrtch doesn't bother me as much as the one coming down from the eyeball.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    How could I tell if this is the small s variety?
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    The image is too dark for me to answer 1 and 2, but I can answer 3.

All Morgan dollars are a VAM of some sort. Please remember VAM numbers are assigned to EVERY attributed Morgan dollar, much as "Overton" numbers are assigned to early halfs, I imagine your real question is if it is a VAM worthy of a premium (such as one of the Top 100 varieties, or the Hot 50 varieties).

Unless there has been a recent discovery, there are no '02-S varieties considered significant. The small round"S" is a mintmark that has been attributed on the '03 and a "micro" S on the '21; I am not aware of the small "S" on the '02. The mintmark on this coin looks to be the V (#5) large S type normally found on 1899 - 1904 dollars, with the exception of the varieties I've mentioned.

Should you find that it IS different, please let us/me know.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The neck scrtch doesn't bother me as much as the one coming down from the eyeball. >>

Same here.
    mids1999 you must hold some kind of record for coins with scratches image

• Options
    Well my father told me my grandfather did pick these morgans up quite cheaply in the 60's.
    I am still hoping to find something interesting and definitely learning alot.

Thanks to everyone on the board
    Mike
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I returned to my Breen and Gilbert is correct tht the small s refers to the 1903-S. Sorry for any undue anticipation.
    Trime
  • Options
    I also agree with Supercoin. The scratches are most likely from being stored and moved in canvas bags that the banks would hold these coins in. Here`s a link about VAM`s with links to the " Top 100 VAM`s " and " Hot 50 Vam`s " .VAM
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is also

www.vamlink.com
  • Options
    Thankyou for the great information
    Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file