Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this a case where a scan hurts you?

If you look at this '61 Mccormick
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869902886

and a whole bunch of other '61 psa 8s for sale by this guy. you'll see what looks like light staining all over the borders (look at the Brandt- it also looks like paper loss near the name). I commend the seller for providing such large scans, but does that seem to hurt him here? Or is it just my browser?
Regards................todd
Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
ebay id: nolemmings

Comments

• Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Here's the auction.......

1961 McCormick

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The odd thing to me is, while the McCormick looks yellow and cheesy looking, the PSA label is white and vibrant...jay
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am not a 61 Topps guy, but the borders are yellowish. I have bought from him before and have met him at the Fort.

I think it is always better to show a scan. The buyer knows what he/she is getting. Seller is protected from feedback.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It is weird to me how grading companies often overlook the coloring of a card in grading it. Here we have a yellowish instead of a white, vibrant card, and it received an 8 grade because of technical merits related to corners, centering, etc.

The most obvious examples of this phenomenon are the N172 Old Judge cards. You often see cards that have high grades -- but the image on the front of the card has faded considerably in the 115 years since it was produced. I wish that that could somehow be incorporated into the grade.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.