Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC posters: I have a question on their registry.

"Steven,
We experienced a problem with your commemoratives from PCGS. The way they list them on their site is they do not show the coin date and that makes it impossible for us to enter your coins properly. So I am asking if you could reenter the coins with the multiple dates for instance with Arkansas their are 1935,1935-D, or 1935-S. If you could just put the date and mint mark in the description we will know which coin to enter. I know that this is very time consuming and I apologize but in order for us to enter your coins correctly we will need for you to do this with past entries and future entries.
If you have any questions on this matter please feel free to contact me.
Thank you very much,
NGC"

I just received this letter from NGC, after they couldn't confirm many of my pcgs commem. cert. numbers for their registry. Does anyone else have problems entering pcgs coins into the ngc registry? I haven't had this particular problem with "their" registry before, although there is always a problem of some sort. It looks like their problem is retroactive to past entries? And whatever the problem is, it looks like it's all pcgs' fault. Bad pcgs. image
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting -- I entered a BTW commem and a Texas commem, both with multiple dates available, both PCGS, and had no problem getting them in the system. Sounds like whoever was doing the verification got confused.

Did you just give them the certificate numbers in mass, or on a slot by slot basis?
    Keith ™

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Slot-by-slotted the whole kit and kaboodle today, took about an hour. I do this every six months/year to see if I can understand inputting coins to their registry. No such luck, again. image
    Out of over 100 coins only a small handful were accepted, and not all had mintmarks, ie., Maine, Lincoln, etc. image
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    PCGS does have a problem with some data in the database. I got one of those e-mails from NGC.... I went and checked the insert number on the PCGS site..... true! Data incomplete! PCGS will fix it if you tell them about it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Thanks, spooly. I simply emailed the pcgs registry list of 144 coins to ngc. It has all the info they need, I think. They offered to enter it for me. I have tried since the inception of their registry to put up all 144 coins, but never quite made it past 80-90% complete. Hopefully, this'll do it. Thanks, again.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Do the insert number show up on the PCGS insert tracking page correctly?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    getting technical now, to me. I'll do some checking.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey RC,

This is a PCGS problem, not an NGC problem. You need to check your PCGS cert #'s on the PCGS Cert Verification page. If they do not come up correctly, you need to e-mail PCGS and ask them to fix these cert #'s in their database. Once they have done that, NGC should have no problem verifying them (which they do by going to the same PCGS website cert verification page).

Sunnywood
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, that is a bit odd. The only problem I encountered with NGC when entering my early Commemorative set were the low grades. NGC, at first, dismissed the set as "not compatable" with their Registry. They did, after a bit of prompting (ok, "begging") on my part, but the date issue never was a problem.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thanks, all. I now sort-of understand the "communication" problem between pcgs and ngc.
    But, if coins have been verified, and entered into the pcgs registry, aren't they verifiable for ngc?
    I don't think they lose verification over time somehow. Maybe Dena/Danielle can pull this one off.
    I don't do computer speak too well. To me, it's hardly worth the hassle to correct any of their data problems.
    "Hey all, I found some really neat coins, just like you guys. Mine are commems."
    That's sufficient for me, these days.
    The forum's much more fun than the registry, anyway. image
    Thanks for the help.

ps. Watching the pettiness between ngc and pcgs camps, one can't help but fear that the companies' positioning and posturing does adversely effect their practices, as well as customers' opinions, expectations and ultimate relationships.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Can someone help me too, PCGS keeps saying they don't recognize my NGC cert numbers when I go to enter them in their registry.
  • Options
  • Options
    A note: Dena and Danielle did do it! I'm at 99% complete (w/o norse pieces) across the way, finally.

ps. BJ - I sent response(s). I don't think PMs are reaching you.
  • Options
    hi

have several sets on ngc. have run into the same problem. i assume yours are pcgs coins. i verfified the coin thru pcgs, copied the verification and sent to ngc. my coins were posted almost immediately. Dena Skeffington dklingener@ngccoin.com at NGC is super when problems occur. in fact today she notified me that a SAC i entered could not be verified. Sent her copy of PCGS verification. Coin was posted. Think the problem is PCGS. tried to post this coin on one of my PCGS sets. Was rejected. They told me that the 2002 coin was not being accepted until DEC, same coin that NGC could not verify. Hope that helps.
    Tom
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    hi

were you trying to post ngc coins in pcgs registry. thought pcgs would not allow ngc coins. have several ngc coins. registry sets on both ngc and pcgs
    thanks
    tom
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    No ngc coins in the pcgs reg., is correct. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Steve,

Duh. Had my PM turned off. Should be fine now. Look forward to hearing from you.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options