Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

CORSO COLLEECTION/71-NO-S/POPS? MAKE ANY SENCE?

Does anyone truly know how many of these no S wonders actually exist in slab form? Redbook says 1600 made it out the door, how many are high grade and in slabs? Frank owned this baby, and Id like to know history behind the pr68cam no S id like to know. Also opinions on the pops and anything else to be said about this wonder.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    I slabbed one this summer as a 68 CAM no S. I'm still on the fence about registering the proof Jeffs, waiting to to see what varieites if any are added before I commit to the series.

In talking with dealers and other collectors they believe they are more numerous than the 1990 no S Lincoln cent of which a hundred are assummed to exist. I know the mint says no more than 3750 since that is the typical life of the die, but Breen etal believed it was dramtically lower. I would assume the 3750 number holds for the Jeffs too, however, I may be wrong since it is a different from copper, which is softer.

Rich
  • Options
    One thing that doesn't make sense is the pop numbers in the registry sets.

I checked the last printed pop report which says 78 No-S Jeffersons were graded, 43 in Cam and 8 in DCAM.

Frank now has a 69 Cam, the online Registry says that is one of 5 none higher.

BNE has a 68 Cam, the Registry says it is one of 6 none higher!!!! This is clearly wrong, see Franks info above.

I also have a 68 Cam, the Registry says it is one of 21 with 5 higher, confirming numbers in the printed pop report and Franks Registry.

The TJA set has a 67 DCAM, the Registry says 4 in that grade with 6 higher.

I don't know how many there are but the quality seems good that year. Maybe not many DCAMs but lots in the 67-68 range. Mine is nice with a DCAM obverse but a weak reverse.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention mine is like Carl's, DCAM obverse with a Cam reverse.

Rich
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The pop information for my '71 no-S is weird because I have a strange coin. I crossed it over from a ICG 70DCAM, and it came back with a "9" prefix, but with a 68CAM grade. I tried to get PCGS to commit as to what the coin would be (i.e., what description takes precedence) if I sent it back for clarification and reholdering, but they said I'd have to send the coin back for them to determine this, which I have not done yet. The computer seems to be using the "9" to generate the pop info (as if it was a DCAM), but is not giving the coin credit as a DCAM in terms of percentage of completion in DCAM or in terms of the extra point. I am trying to learn to live with ambiguity, so this coin assists in that endeavor.image Eventually I will clear it up, but I suspect that I am not the only collector who has a weird "straddling" coin for this particular issue.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    oh yeah Carl, forgot I could look there. Pop report is way off...Frank says mine is strong dcam rev with a cam ob...looks solid dcam to me...or am I seeing $$$$

anyhow I still think its rarer than stated and not generally listed in price tables. I truly wonder how many are out there.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ok Carl so BNE, you and I account for 3 pr68cams...but i seriously think that there are alot less than thought...i dont see any for sale..

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Hey now, I didn't admit mine was only CAM! image Flip a coin! image

For some reason, there seems to be a whole lot of these in ICG slabs: they come up frequently on Teletrade. It seems this issue finds its way into an ICG slab at greater frequency than other dates. . . .

They are quite rare overall, though, and prices seem pretty stable and predictable for them.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    The 1971 no s you referenced was purchased in a Teletrade auction several years ago. I always thought it was a DCAM obverse and cameo reverse. A very high end coin for the grade and designation.

Breen's Encyclopedia of US Coins, states 1655 coins exist and confirmed by the US mint.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    I purchased a no s in 67 dcam Nov.00' The pop was 1/1 and now it is 4/6. Isn't it strange none have shown up in the registry. Where are they ???

Tim
    My proof Jeffs
  • Options
    well franks old one is mine now image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    STOCKFORDSTOCKFORD Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    the 71 no "s" is really not that rare I have 17 of them 6 still in the sets
    been collecting for years
    the ones to find are the 1939 rev of 40 about 50 known I got six
    and the 1940 rev of 1938 about the same I have one

funny thing tough if you look at the proof registry with varieties they are not there why?
    LOOKING FOR FULL STEP JEFFERSON NICKELS PCGS OR NGC
  • Options
    because they arnt available image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill