Home U.S. Coin Forum

1972 Ike Type Attribution -- With Photos

Ok, been meaning to do this for some time.

There are three 1972 Ike Types:

1972 Type 1 - Low Relief Reverse
1972 Type 2 - High Relief Reverse, struck with proof die, scarce
1972 Type 3 - High Relief Reverse

The Type 1 is a low-relief design. This is the same design found on 1971, 1971-D, 1972-D, and 1971-S silver unc.

The Type 2 was accidentally, or as an experiement, struck with the same design as used for the 1972-S proof and unc coins. The prevailing theory is that a proof die reverse was accidentally used. The estimated mintage based on die life is 100,000 coins, which is tiny by modern circulation standards. It is one of the few Ikes that brings a premium even in circulated grades.

The Type 3 is a very significant and intentional change. Better die steel allowed the mint to strike the coins in oringally-intended high relief design. This new higher relief was then used in 1973 and later (except the bicentennials).

There are a variety of ways to attribute the three different reverses, but here's what works best for me... all are related to looking at the Earth on the reverse.

RAISED outline around continents:

Type 1 - Outline of Earth flat from 8:00 to 11:00 (see yellow line).
All islands to East of Florida.

Type 3 - Outline of Earth essentially round.
Some islands West of Florida.

INCUSE outline around continents:

Type 2

For real-life examples, look at the readily available 1971-S, 72-S, and 73-S uncirculated silver issues. These are generally well-struck, and conveniently correspond to the 1972 Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 varieties.

--------

Credit for these photos goes to a fellow board member who photographed them for me with some fancy equipment. And put up with me asking him to retry them several times to catch the relevant details. image Thanks again Mike!

Comments

• Does the Type 2 reverse often come with PL surfaces?
  • Not prooflike like your Franklin. image

The Type 2 are, however, generally better struck and nicer looking than the typical 1972 (which isn't saying much -- it's the toughest date in the series).

If you're asking because of the proof die, I think the big tough nasty clad planchets would make it hard to tell.

And off the top of my head, it seems likely the proof die was not yet sandblasted and polished, because it would be pretty hard to accidentally mistake for a regular die then.

I've also never heard a reason why it couldn't just as easily been a 1972-S uncirculated die.

Yet another theory is the mint did it on purpose, as a test run to see how the die would hold up.

Would welcome any insight. image
  • Awesome thread and very informative. Thanks!
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the indulgence. Those are great pics, and very helpful.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Thanks Tad...I used to know that, thanks to you, and know I do again...LOL image

Greg
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Thanks Tad and this is worth a TTT image

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection
  • Geat pics, Tad. Now, when are you going to lobby PCGS to attribute those?
    Keith ™

• When am I going to? More correctly, when will I stop. image

It should be just a matter of (hopefully not much more) time. The Type 1 to Type 3 in particular is a huge, intentional, design change -- dwarfing the minor varieties already recognized in many other series, such as the 79 and 81 proof mintmark varieties.

The 1972 types are now even listed in the 2003 Red Book thanks to the efforts of a dedicated collector. So there really are no valid excuses left.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

I saw Jim B. was sending email to Rick about the TYPE II, and here is the Rick's reply

> I would appreciate an example of each one.
    >
    > Rick
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • S'Coin ; Excellent post. I've been looking for an understandable explanation with readable graphics like this for a long time. This is why I'm a daily reader at this site. Thanx for taking the time... I, for one really appreciate it and I'm sending copies to my " Coin" friends. Twowood
  • You're welcome, T'wood! image

jcping, yes, and that will make two examples of each that Rick has, somewhere. Hopefully Jim's will fare better than mine. image*

* The rarely seen smiley-gritting-his-teeth-slightly icon.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread deserved a BUMP! imageimage
  • TTT by popular demand -- honest!! Ok, it was one guy who PMed me. image
  • misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    Are Jim Bs' 1972 Ike varieties going to NGC with Rick?image
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Now this is a good Post!!!!!!!!!!
    J'har
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    Geez Tad. Who was the dedicated collector who got the Red Book to put in the three types? BTW great pictures. Though I have sold my IKE collection, I would still love to see this issue resloved.

Greg
  • Just respecting your privacy -- you da man!! --> image <--

You should check out that other thread on Kenneth Bressett signing Red Books... maybe you could arrange to get a copy with the Ike page signed, preserve your own little piece of numismatic immortality. image

While I'm giving credit where it's due, let me reiterate that the photos were taken by another forum member. I haven't been able to take good close-up photos like this.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Always a nice refresher thread. imageimageimage
  • SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    So, has PCGS attributed these yet?
  • I'm afraid not. And if I was one to air dirty laundry I might be complaining here about how they said they'd do it 6 months ago and have since repeatedly ignored e-mails, phone calls, and even a fax or two. But I'm not, so I won't. image
  • I just emailed this thread to myself...Very informative and will come in handy later, when I have forgotten this!
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    This is the type of thread I like to see. Awesome job!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregard- wrong thread.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file