Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned Franklin - Second Time Around

pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
This toned Franklin went for $980 a few months ago. The seller sold it with the option to return it within one year for a full credit. I guess the first buyer took him up on the offer. It went for $780 this go around with the same return option.

Toned Franklin
The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Huh? Where's that return option, I see this in his auction terms (you've got to click on the fine print at that bottom):

AUCTION PURCHASERS PLEASE ALSO NOTE: Auction merchandise is NOT returnable. The exception would be in the rare case of an inaccurate representation. An auction is a contract to purchase and it is NOT an approval service.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey tad

nice one in pointing out that return policy that stinks like.................well, you know!!! especially on a toned coin that NEEDS to be seen. the scans provided look pretty good, but really. i can't imagine buying a coin like that with no return policy, which is in effect what reedededge offers. i've seen some dealers who offer no return on items but give a discount. this is a new one---sight unseen with no return!!

al h.image

• It was purchased by a board member. Maybe they'll be able to share their opinion of it when it arrives.
    Keith ™

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my limited experience- the Reededge coins look as good as their scans show the coin to be.
    I don't think this one will disapoint.

peacockcoins

• The board member that picked up this piece is about as knowledgeable a person on Franklins as I've ever met. This in my opinion was an extremely good purchase. Look at the coin that Anaconda. In my opinion the piece that Ronyahski got runs circles around the Anaconda piece. I don't think this will be returning to anyone any time soon.

Frank
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tad

You're right. I'll double check when I get home but I'm sure that during the first go around on the coin he offered a one year return privilege and apparently someone took him up on it.

Sorry about the misinformation.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
    I might be mistaken but I thought that in spite of a stated no return policy any item sold via mail or internet had to have by FCC regulations a 3 or 7 day return policy. I'm I wrong on this?
    Here's the link to the original auction:

Original Auction

Another correction...it was a 90% refund within one year.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Another member and I were discussing this coin earlier. It looks like the one sold in the Goldberg pre-Long Beach. It was a 65 and thought maybe he sent it in for upgrade.Link It sold for for $379. Click on session 2, lot 447.
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    both are beauties, but the timing of the original auction makes it appear that this has been in a 6 slab since at least august, (if in fact this is the same coin and was returned for the 90% refund.) the toning seems a bit more intense on both the obv. and rev., as well.

i have noticed that reedededge has changed their return policy a couple times in the last few months (including, for a time, that 90% buyback for a year). does anyone have any experience with them?
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    zenny, that could very well be, but Goldberg's pixs never pick up toning well, they always look drabber then they really are.
    Both are nice coins but the colors and pattern of the toning on the reverse is quite different. The price was a little to steep for me. I'm wondering what caused the prior owner to return the coin?
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I dunno. That bullseye is funky looking and the other one looks like the paint is chipping off.
    Let me show you a nice toned Frank: Text
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    Dog97

I spotted that one the other day. Another nice coin that's outside of my budget right now image.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file