Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What does FS on a Jefferson really mean?

Is it true that if a coin has a hit on the steps that cuts through a step that the coin will not receive the FS designation? This just doesn't make sense to me. If this is true, I guess I don't fully understand the purpose of FS designation. I thought FS designation was basically a way of indicating the sharpness of the strike.
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    image Full steps on the Monticello in the middle! Just as confusing as the FS FSB designations on Mercury dimes. The graders just found a different way of classifying went struck coinage!image The point system should have always been this way above an MS 65 coin. Not even proofs need to be FS, FB, FSB or FBL's. I don't get it, but they get extra money for a better designation on coin stikes!image
    Jeff
    P.S. I am always a sap for the better stike!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    See my answer on your other thread
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    I'm still trying to get a good feel for the designation/grading. The set is over half full now. (pending the new submissions).
    I am only beginning to see the difference between bag marks vs HITS/CUTS and weak steps on my PCGS coins. Hope you caught the vauge.
    I have realized that grading is subjective and can be expensive.
    Most of the collectors will give you the best answer, even though the question isn't answered.
    Experience is the best teacher.
    If you ask Frank a specific question, you'll get a reply. Then ask him again for the correct answer, if the first one was cynical, or something else.
    (I think he knows too much and forgets some of us are just learning sometimes.) Sorry. Hello Frank...

I wanted the same question answered. Can't be done until you see enough full step coins to make your own judgement. Got many more to go...

Boston Bob
  • Options
    Boston Bob:

If you ask Frank a specific question, you'll get a reply. Then ask him again for the correct answer, if the first one was cynical, or something else. (I think he knows too much and forgets some of us are just learning sometimes.) Sorry. Hello Frank...
    Text

You are reading way too much into my short answers. My intent was not to be cynical but to provide some helpful information. Sometimes time is short and I do not have time to fully explain my answers. But it was my opinion the reply was helpful.

Regarding the factual mistake in my reply yesterday morning, I corrected it immediately after it was brought to my attention. As you can see from my number of posts, I do not post that often - only when I think there is something to contribute.

My simple learning never post before your morning coffee.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Boston....I agree. Vauge is a good word to describe Full Steps.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Frank:
    Didn't intend to diss you at all. I look forward to seeing your input. Just meant imply that your answers sometimes leave me with another question.

NICKEL TRIUMPH:
    Sometimes i don't speel too well. What the hell.. Got the point across.

Bob
  • Options
    PCGS will grade a coin with marks in the steps as long as those marks do not break a step. If the line that keeps the steps seperate is still intact under a mark it can still get the FS designation, of course as long as it still has at least 5 complete steps or more. NGC only designates 6 complete steps as FS coins. Its such a fine line, PCGS will not designate a FS coin sometimes if a line is weak. I have a 68-S Jeff that is a FS by the standards but one of the lines is weak and having been submitted twice it has yet to be graded as FS. I did however just get a 1972 MS66FS image on the same submission.