Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SGC to PSA crossovers

I have several SGC 96 cards that I am thinking about sending to PSA for grading and was wondering what kind of grades I should expect. I have seen posts where 96's were graded at PSA 10. Whats your experience?

Comments

• Options
    I have had a:
    96 come back a psa 9
    96 come back a psa 8
    92 come back a psa 9
    84 come back a psa 8
    AND
    I had a 96 come back UNGRADED - due to TRIMMING!

it is a crap shoot.
    imageimage
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    To go along with BKAH. . .
    I've had -
    SGC96s come back PSA8s
    SGC96s come back PSA9s
    SGC92s come back PSA9s
    SGC92s come back PSA7s
    SGC86s come back PSA8s

You will have to examine the card closely before deciding to crack it out of the original holder since the card will be examined on its own individual merits.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I've had 86's come back 6 (happened twice), and an 88 come back 7. I had another 86 come back a 5 due to a missed wrinkle. Another 84 came back 8(OC), which I expected.

I've had others that have crossed over directly (84 -> 7, 92 -> 8, 80 -> 6). I've never had an SGC card go up a grade, but I think this is just bad luck on my part.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options

I've had average success in crossing over SGC to PSA (crap shoot mentioned earlier is appropriate). I've had much better success crossing BVG/BGS (yes, both) to upgraded PSA cards. Almost every one of the beckett 7.5 cards I've cracked out got the 8 grade from PSA. But I've also decided against cracking some BVG cards out after I examined them closely. Decided to sell, rather than take the chance.

Back to SGC, I rarely have 86s bumped up, but I have had 84s get PSA 8 (go figure). I've had a lot of SGC 88's go down to PSA 7 due to too much print snow or too far o/c. So be careful. PSA is very unforgiving on both of those qualifier types. (which shouldn't be news to anyone on this board.)

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I have had nothing but a BAD EXPERIENCE crossing SGC to PSA. After I looked through all of my holders, my results are:

SGC 96 (These are all '68's)
    5 Stayed PSA 9
    3 Dropped to PSA 8 (Submitted IN HOLDER)
    1 Dropped to PSA 7 (Submitted IN HOLDER)
    SGC 92 (Again, 1968)
    3 Were PSA 8
    1 Was PSA 7 (A HOF'er, Submitted IN HOLDER)
    SGC 88 (Mix of 1967/1968)
    8 Stayed PSA 8 (3 Submitted IN HOLDER)
    3 Dropped to PSA 7 (1 Submitted IN HOLDER)
    SGC 84 1933 Goudey Cronin came back a PSA 6
    SGC 60 1935 Diamond Star Ferrell came back TRIMMED
    I am holding 3 more 1968 SGC 96's that I will PROBABLY open and submit next special, but have a sense that 1 will come back PSA 8. Stump has had success in the crossover game. I have learned (painfully) to buy the card and not the holder. That said, my "drops" will be resubmitted when the "Grader of Death" goes on vacation
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    I've had tremendous success crossing. The key is to know what you're looking at. Don't cross based on the grade...base it on the card. Never trust the grader completely. PSA is, at times, corner happy. SGC will not typically slab OF's or PD's or TILTS as 96's...PSA will and does. SGC will slab a touched corner a 96, however. So will PSA, but not with same frequency, I've found. I won't attempt any cross-overs with BVG on the year I collect as there are a lot of sheet cuts circulating in their holders.

To date I've had 17 SGC's attempted...

11 SGC 96's = 8 PSA 9's and 2 PSA 10's (1 PSA 8--later bumped to a 9)
    5 SGC 92's = 2 PSA 9's and 2 PSA 8's 1 PSA 7???
    1 SGC 86 = 1 PSA 8
  • Options

5-SGC 96 3 PSA 9 2 PSA 10

Buy the card not the holders. I am selective who I buy the 96 from I have over 60 now in SGC 96 for the 68 Topps set but have only bought from 3 individuals. Haddock has the best cards I have seen in 68 PSA and SGC.He is DHCARDS on ebay.I am sure any of his other years were selected with the same precision. The man has an eye for cards. His cards and a few others seem to be on the high end of the grades. SGC grades as PSA does. Some 96 just make it and some just fall short of a 98. As have been said many times. But the card not the holder. Inspect the cards before you buy if you can or know the person you buy from this will help in the future with your crossover success.

Dave Jacobs
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Remember -- buy the card and not the holder, as stated before. Everyone has had mixed success with this sort of thing.

Review each card -- without looking at the grade, and give your honest assessment of what it would grade at from PSA. If you are considering crossing over cards -- you should have the expertise to be able to (at least generally) recognize the differences between a PSA 8, 9 and 10. This is much easier to do with vintage than with modern.

But educate yourself -- and only try to cross over those examples that have the best chances of returning what you want.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    If "buying the card, not the holder" is not an option--send the card to Stump and have him submit it for you!image What do you say Dave?image
    I know I'm considering putting in someone else's name on my next submission.

EJimage
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    I need someone to post a "How to identify a potential PSA 10" essay :-)

• Options
    With some of the "soft" 10's emerging from the grading room of late, a 10 blueprint is sketchy at best. While always subjective, the elements you'd expect SHOULD be in place. Corners, centering (no tilts), undisturbed original surfaces, clean edges and tight registration and focus & you're in the ballpark. 10's typically have all the 9 elements but have an almost translucent image quality. The print is (should be) exceptional. You can look at a deserving 10 from a small distance and it just pops. One reason SGC cards cross to 10's so well is that I find they are real conscious of the photo quality and eye appeal. If it's not strong...voila! a 92!...hence 92's bumping to PSA 9's.

Recently, some 10's from the year I collect have emerged with tilts, corner fuzz, border chipping and drab color or loose registration...particularily in the yellows. I submitted a card that I thought had an outside shot at a 9 and it came back a 10. Slider 9 at best, but the holder says 10. Go figure! EJ's grader of death was at lunch...image
  • Options
    James -- send me an e-mail. Do you have a lot of 50-100 Mike Schmidt cards of any particular year or player? Since I have multiple-hundred card lots of most of the major issues, I can tell you exactly how I evaluate a Mike Schmidt card of a particular issue to see if/how many I will submit.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    can anyone tell me how to submit a SGC card for crossover?
  • Options
    Best bet:

Break the card out of the holder (CAREFULLY -- this may take practice so as not to damage the card) and submit it like any other cards.

Other option:
    Submit the card to PSA with a handwritten release on your behalf stating something like "I formally release PSA from any damage, harm, etc. that may happen to the enclosed baseball cards in the removal of the cards from a third-party grading holder". One potential (and disputed) disadvantage to this is whether or not the grade already on the card may influence how PSA will grade the card.

I suggest breaking it out yourself carefully.

Marc
  • Options
    Marc, I agree. Breaking it out yourself also reduces the risk of damage. Even though they're "pros", they don't care about your card as much as you do. Could you imagine them damaging your favorite Schmidt cracking it out...eeek! I do think that PSA would be fair as not to discriminate based on the prior grade. Of course it would be human nature, but if it's all there...you SHOULD get the proper grade.

By the way, what is your favorite Schmidt card? Do you have an example that you're happy with yet?
  • Options
    Favorite Schmidt card -- they are all cool!

Honestly, I like his 1972 Puerto Rican sticker card just because he is so young and innocent; before the days that he became an absolute powerhouse. And there are a bunch of stupid or silly cards that I like simply because of their rarity or silliness. For example, I like the 1986 Keller's Butter Mike Schmidt card (I have in SGC 96...) because it is so ugly -- and I grew up with cards like that -- being on the back of a box of butter only found on the East Coast. Or memories of sitting in the Tastycake superbox at Vet Stadium -- The Burger King cards, the Drake cards, the Coca-Cola cards, etc.

In a slight disagreement -- I think if you submitted a card in an SGC 96 holder to PSA for crossover, there is virtually no chance that they would grade it out as PSA 10. However, if you break it out yourself -- these things may happen occassionally if you are smart and well-informed with your crack-outs.

MS
  • Options
    Marc,

I busted a 1982 Topps vending case a couple of weeks ago and have about 18 of each Schmidt card plus other stars. Im about to by a 1984 and 1981 vending case to open for grading.

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

James

• Options
    EJGURU We both know where most of my SGC-96 came from. I have found that some dealers cards are of high quality 96's and some are on the lower end.
    I stay away from the ones that are lower quality unless i need the card in a eight. Then I just adjust my price expecting a eight, if I get a nine hooray for me.

As far as breaking the card out of having PSA do it. I would do it yourself. If you are careful it is easy to do. Take a thin screwdriver and pry at the top on the slab on both ends it usually pops right out. I dont think PSA likes to be in the business of popping out competitors slabs. If you get a high grade, that promotes the sale of the others product by getting you to buy more thus promting the dealer to get more slabbed by the competitor. On the other hand it may increase PSA's slab count by you submitting more of the competitors slabs. I think it is a double edged sword that PSA wants to stay away from. Just my opinion.

As has been stated many times buy the card not the holder. There are many levels of eights and nines. Sooner or later you will get the eye for it.

Dave Jacobs(stump)
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Well here are the results from my latest submissions:

1981 Topps #3 RBI Leaders SGC 96 = PSA 9
    1981 Topps #206 Mike Schmidt Record Breaker SGC 96 = PSA 8
    1975 Topps #307 Allen/Schmidt BGS 8.5 = PSA 8
    1974 Topps #470 Terry Bradshaw BGS 8.5 = PSA 8
    1985 Topps #714 Mike Schmidt AS BGS 9.5 = Still waiting

• Options
    About 6 months ago i submitted 25 SGC 92's to PSA. i got 22 8's 2 9's and 1 8 PD, so i'd say it was pretty fair. In my experience, thought, PSA is a little more stringent about surface quality that SGC, so watch for snow (esp. in the 70's era)

-mitch
  • Options
    i got 2 c56 imperial tobacco hockey cards ( art ross # 12 and
    harold mcnamara ) at sgc 50 and both x's over to
    psa 4s. so they were in argeement.
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places