Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1952 Topps psa 8 set on Mastronet

In Mastronet's Decemember auctiion, they are auctioning off a 1952 Topps psa 8 set. I currently have 322 of the cards in 8 or better but am missing or need to upgrade 85(my set is on the registry). I am looking for people to go in with me to commit to buy some of the cards that I already have. If you are looking for a few cards or if you are looking for a lot of cards, I am willing to act as coordinator. Please post or better yet e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com if you want to participate. I don't need commitments for the whole thing as I am willing to own some duplicates but I do need commitments for a substantial part of the set if I am to do this. One last comment--the 85 cards I need are generally the more expensive and tougher cards in the set. Let me know.

Thanks,

Davalillo

Comments

• Options
    Dav

Whoa, somehow I don't think that there's going to be a volume discount with that set. On this venture, I wish you the best of luck.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options

Davilillo,

You're 79% complete and you're buying into a complete set. Not the most efficient way to do it, methinks. Patience, man, patience.
  • Options
    Davillio,

You've got the right idea!!!!!

Guns,

He might be waiting in his grave...

Gator
  • Options
    Toppsgun,

That makes perfect sense to me. Why not find others to split the set with you and finish it all at once. That kind of outlay may hurt his Kelloggs Kollection but sometimes sacrifices must be made. In my mind the 52 topps is king of all of the sets. Go for it Jim! Good luck finding others to split the collection.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jim:

I sent you an e-mail. Though I am only willing to go in for a small portion of the set, hopefully it may be enough to help overall.

For a set like this, buying the complete set may be the only realistic way to find some of those PSA 8s. Many of the people on this board don't realize how many commons from this set command well over $1,000 in PSA 8 because of population and rarity. Smoky Burgess is one of the examples I know from a Philadelphia Phillies perspective.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    A '52 Topps set in PSA-8 SMR's for over a quarter million dollars, $267,840.00 to be exact. And as Schmidtty stated, there are many commons that easily bring in 4 figures. Then add the buyers premium to the mix, this set can top $300,000.00 in a heartbeat, bad economy or not. What do you all think it will end at? ...jay
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    The reason I am looking for partners is I cannot afford this outlay. I need partners willing to commit for a large portion of the 322 cards I have already. Buying these 85 cards on a one-by-one basis is difficult and probably even more costly. How many Pafko 8s do you see?--how many Wehmeier? Who knows--for a lot this expensive maybe I could even get it at a discount to smr. Maybe somebody with money wants to come in on a financial basis to where I pay an agreed upon price for my 85 cards and he makes 100% of the profit on the resale of the duplicates.
    Just trying to figure out how I can get to the finish line in 8 in this set.

Davalillo
  • Options
    Throw the book away on this one boys and girls. 350K+. in my estimation
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Throw the book away on this one boys and girls. 350K+. in my estimation >>

OK! Now we all know what ZARDOZ will bid on it. He's made a monumental fortune on the '70 Kellogg's and apparently wants to parlay his riches on another set image ...jay
  • Options
    Come on Zardoz and throw some of your Kelloggs Kash that you get from selling your Kelloggs Krap into my syndicate for a winning bid.
    Actually, I think you are high--the biggest of the collectors are done on this set. Who else could dump $300,000 into it. You think a dealer could bid this high and try to resell--only if he gets a lot of pre-commitments first. Thats what I am trying to do. How about you other 52 collectors--Ron Hobbs?? Levi??
  • Options

<< <i>Kelloggs Krap >>

I think I might form my own konsortium for this set to skrew up Vic.
  • Options
    Gemmint,

But that would involve you with a real set--not these mini modern sets--you would be lost. But if you want to put together your own little Klub to go after 52 Topps good luck.

Davalillo
  • Options
    Vic, there are almost 10,000 '52 Topps cards in PSA 8 (it's an easy set). There are barely a 100 '70 Kellogg's cards in PSA 10.

I could sell off my K-10's and buy a few complete PSA 8 '52 Topps Sets.

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    That doesn't merit a response.
  • Options
    Oh Vic I'm just klowning around.

Good luck on the set if you decide to pursue it.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Davalillo,
    I think you are wise to do this. You are exactly right when you said that the big hitters are already done with the set. The only people you would probably be affected by are the wealthy stars(movie/athletes) that are looking for a big purchase. There are not that many players out there that will spend over $3000. 00 on anything. Most collectors out there bite their nails over a $35.00 purchase on Ebay. You might want to check with Murcerfan. He just started this set about a month ago. I would sell those that you could not move on Ebay for a small fee for you if you need the help. I think the set would bring around $190,000 if it were anyone elses auctions. Mastro is the very best. My quess will be with the hammer $245,000.
    I am wanting to do the samething with the 1954 Wilson Franks set if you are interested?

1954/leo
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Jim,

Let me know if you get this put together -- I just need a handfull to complete my set so I won't be much help but would love to participate to get to completion.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    i am also looking for people to go in on the 1952 set; i need 408 cards in psa 8 or better
  • Options
    Guys if yopu are serious, I am. I have but 2 e-mails so far jdc122@aol.com--I have even asked Louis Bollman to send collectors my way.
  • Options
    The "Big Hitters" that you know of

This was an unknown set from an unknown collector.

Now that my pal Charie Sheen is married and can't go out on the town anymore, I hear that he's playing with his cards again. image
  • Options
    Davalillo-

I would seriously consider calling your collecting comrade John Branca on this matter. His 1952 Topps set, though impressive, still has a lot of upgrades that it needs for the PSA 8 level. I believe that Marshall, Charlie and him split the PSA 9's from Mastro's last auction. I do understand that there are probably a lot of PSA 8s that you both need for upgrades to your 1952 set -- but figuring a reasonable way to split it may be very beneficial to you. This is one of the hallmark sets of all-time, and I do not think that John would hesitate to pay fairly for this set (though not as aggressively as he did on 1951 Bowmans....)

Shane -- With the Wilson Franks set, I am all over the Del Ennis card if you need a partner to pony up for that card.

All my best-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Marc-
    I thought that you might. Murcerfan and I are discussing this. If we go through with it, I will be glad to include you.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Well -- a hearty congratuations to Ron Leff, who appears to have been the proud winner of the MastroNet 8 set.

I wonder if my poster is worth anything ;-)
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    If you haven't seen this set...here's a link.

Link to set

You can actually pull up scans of any of the 407 cards.

I think there's a buyers premium over and above the $240,000 bid.

Regards,

Alan