Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would this Morgan be a an MS62?

Or is it even lower?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    That mark infront of the chin looks like a killer.
    I think maybe even scratched-bodybag killer.
  • cascadecascade Posts: 151 ✭✭
    I wasn't planning on having it slabbed, I was just testing my lackluster grading skills. :-)
  • Agree with Placid. Mark by chin looks bad in your pix. Does it look better in person??? There may some others on reverse by eagle?JMHO

Jr

Doesn't look any different in person, except smaller. The marks on the reverse by the eagle aren't as prominent - in person you have to tilt the coin to catch them.
  • It would probably grade 62 if not for the chin dig - MS60 otherwise.

Frank
    Thanks guys. Its is quite a "chin dig" too.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon MS60 to 61, if the chin ding doesn't bodybag it.

Scuffy coin, but I can tell from the pics that it has nice luster.

I'm not a Morgan expert by any stretch of the imagination, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • In my experience scanning coins, the scanner makes things look MUCH worse than they are. (When you scan on the scale here.) Even when you look at the coin with a 10X loupe. At the magnification in the scan, it's like looking at the coin with a 20X loupe. I would be willing to bet that the coin, although baggy, has much greater eye appeal than what is apparent in the scan. Also...It being a relatively strong strike for a year and mintmark notorious for a weak strike, I'm betting MS-62.

J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the deep scratch in front of the chin might keep it out of a PCGS holder ANACS would probably net grade it 61. Just a WAG.
    I got this image with a coolpix 995. Its amazing what you can see when you blow it up real good.

Setup
    Battle Sac variety
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I don't think it would bag, because the mark in front of the chin isn't a scratch. It's just a big bag mark. Probably come back ms/61. As Lord stated, it seems to have very good luster. A nice, scuffy Morgan image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That looks like a staple scratch by the chin so I'll go with 62. If the scratch doesn't go deep into the surface I might call it a 63 markwise. The strike is really weak so you can't grade it too high.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file