Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All sorts of interesting things going on with this 1880CC Morgan

Well as promised here are some hastily taken pictures of the GSA Morgan I got today. Sure enough - it looks like it's a VAM 6 8/Low 7. Here are some of the features:
    The surface of the coin seems to be covered with a light white film which unfortunately obscures the prooflike fields a bit.
      The reverse is really interesting - First off, the mint mark is almost completely closed up so it looks more like an "oo" than a "cc"
        Next there appears to be some "die deterioration doubling" on United States of America - I don't know if you'll be able to see much on the picture, but if you look at some of the letters, there appears to be doubling to the left of them (look at the TES of States)
          Finally the Motto - In God We Trust goes from ok at the begining, to pretty mangled at the end - The S in trust appears to be broken and the U is partially filled in.

All in all a pretty interesting coin. One thing I was wondering if you guys could comment on - the coin appears to be covered with a metallic dust like substance - I've seen on some not so well preserved coins in the past - do you think NCS would be able to remedy this situation? If so I have a couple of other questions:

Does NGC recognize GSA Dollars on their slabs?
          Does NCS and thereby NGC accept GSA Dollars in their holder for grading?

Thanks!

Frank

Comments

• Options
            gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
            Frank,

That 'light film' on the surface of this particular coin is actually not uncommon on many GSA CC dollars. The 79-CC GSA coins are the most often encountered with this haziness. I've not ever heard that it's been positively identified as metallic dust but suspect that it has more to do with manner in which the coins were stored for many decades.

I've never been one to crack out and dip my GSA dollars, but I've heard others say that such coins typically look much better after being dipped.

To date, I do not know of NGC attributing the "GSA" name to coins placed in their holders (as does PCGS) but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I keep hearing rumors that NGC is gioing to start grading the coins in the original GSA holders but no one has yet described to me how they're going to affix their logo to the holder in such a way that it's tamper-proof.

Hope this helps.

GSAGUY

• Options
            ttt
          • Options
            ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
          Emoji
          Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
          Drop image/file