Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Proof Sets...

Ok... in my quest for Kennedy AH and/or CAMs, the 1964 (previously "unopened", yeah right) proof sets are starting to pile up over here.
Are there any other varieties or errors I should be looking for on any of the coins in the set?

Clark
NMFB ™

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hi Clark,
    You might want to send a PM to Russ or Don. They are the kings of the 64 Kennedy's.image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Clark,

Don't let Marty kid you. Every time I bid on a box of 64's, I run into Marty or Russ. Russ has mentioned the pointed 9 Rosy, which is found in the 64 AH set. Many of the Jeffs were toners, and I'd be interested in any you wanted to sell. Also, many of the other coins were Cam/Dcam in some of these sets, and the Lincolns in particular bring strong money in high-grade dcam. As for the JFKs, the AH is the only significant variety, and it won't bring much of a premium unless it is accompanied by a cam/dcam designation, but should you uncover a 64 Dcam, whether AH or not, you've scored big-time.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You could look for DDO's and DDR's. In proofs, both exist. And, as Don mentioned, you can find some really pretty Jeffersons. For some reason, the toning that pops up on them is all over the map color wise. Some look really cool.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeath,

Thanks for the comments. I've only found one Jeff that was even starting to turn blue... got a few that have that greyish-blue thing going.

I, too, have noticed Marty's bids. He didn't fool me for a moment. image

Yep... it's friday night. I think I'll sit around looking at coins. Man, that seems pretty sad after I read it back!

Clark
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Russ,

I have found myself looking at every coin I come across for DDO's and DDR's. I think I have a better chance of spotting a UFO. image

But, I'll keep looking.

Clark
    NMFB ™

• Options
    1964 proof sets are gold mines for doubled dies in all of the denominations. 1964 proof Kennedy halves have at least 30 different DDO's and DDR's. For a number of them you need a stereomicroscope to discern which is which, as well as Dr. Wiles' book on Kennedy varieties. The only denomination that does not have a number of 1964 varities is the quarter. Only about 5 doubled dies are listed for the proofs. I think if you have opened a number of 1964 proof sets that the odds are you have several if not more doubled dies of one type or another sitting in front of you. If you don't have a microscope now may be a good time to invest. Good luck in your hunt. BOB
  • Options
    Clark,

These are a few of my favorites. The 63 is PCGS PR67, tha 61 is PCGS PR66.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the DDO's DDR's on these can be seen with an 18X Triplett, but
    you might need more to tell them apart. It gets especially tough because
    die state and strike affect the appearance of many of these.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Don,

Is it my imagination, or did you get screwed on the grade for the '63? The strike looks plenty strong, the fields clean, and I'm not seeing any nicks or dings. Am I missing something?

BTW, this one's in for grading right now:

imageimage

I'm hoping for a 68.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks Russ, but I think the grader probably didn't like the slight spotting in the toning on the reverse. The coin is strong IMO for the grade, but I really submitted it primarily to add to my color set. I love the devices in white (cameo) and color in the fields. Yours looks nicer. Have you noticed how hard it is to capture the colors in pics? It seems the color is more visible to the camera when reflecting strong light. Unfortunately, that makes an ugly glare.
  • Options
    Those are some nice Jeffies, guys.

I just looked 15 proof sets under 10X. Nothing jumped out at me. Couldn't do that too often... after staring at computer monitors all day for years, activities like that whack my eyes out.

BTW, I finally broke down and bought one of these:

Clark
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Mini-me, you complete me......ROFLMAO. Looks like he met a witchdoctor. I've always wondered how those looked. Can you imagine what would happen to a $1 gold coin!

Edited to add - Wouldn't it be fun to see if the magnet would shrink only one coin in the set through mint cellophane, and to submit the coins still in the mint set.
  • Options
    I imagine they'd have to be pretty careful with a gold coin, gold being so soft and such a good conductor of electricity. What can shrink a Kennedy may very well turn a gold coin into a gold blob.

I was going to include a link to the guy's web page www.teslamania.com, but it seems to be mia.

Clark

Edited to add - I think the cellophane would melt. I read on his web site (when it existed) that there's quite an explosion when this tesla thing discharges. Each coin is custom-wrapped in a coil, which is destroyed in the process.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Clark,

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to get me one now.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ,

I don't think they accept those in the resgistry yet. image

Clark
    NMFB ™

• Options
    No. They won't even slab 'em- - enviromental damage.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DHeath,

I asked the coin-shrinkin' dude about gold coins. His reply:

<< <i>It turns out that I shrunk a gold half eagle for a collector a short
    while back. I found that the gold-copper alloy is actually pretty tough
    - the coin didn't shrink nearly as much as I thought it would. >>

Here's one he sent me a link to:image

more shrunken coins here
    teslamania.com

Clark
    NMFB ™

• Options
    ClarkofKent; What is the weight of the Shrunken coins? Do they appear thicker?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladking,

The weight stays the same, and they do get thicker. Check out his web site... it's interesting stuff.

Clark
    NMFB ™

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file