Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Washington quarter collectors

What are the first problems that you look for when judging a gem- or superb gem brilliant uncirculated Washington? What would turn you off if you saw it on an MS65 or MS67 piece? I assume that Washington’s cheek and farhead are problem spots when it comes to scuff marks? Is there anything that you’d look for on the eagle?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    I think I'm correct in saying that the majority of a Washington's given grade is based on the quality of the obverse. Other than the cheek and hair marks on the obverse, it's important to note "neck chatter." There's alot of space on Washington's neck that should be free of marks on high MS coins. The eagle's breast feathers are important because that seems to be a focal point for tick marks and rub, along with the legs, talons, and the tops of the wings. These areas are the give-away for high AU specimens that often get mistaken for mint state.

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the clads the first thing that will knock them out of gem is the strike. These
    don't often strike up as well as the silver issues. There will usually be weakness
    on the LI of liberty or on the bottom of the date numerals. It's usually marks that
    keep it away from superb gem. These will be scratches in the fields on later dates,
    on the high points on earlier dates, and scrapes on the high points of the mid-dates.
    One nice thing about the clads though; If the obverse is nice the reverse will tend
    to be even nicer. If there is a problem with the reverse it will typically be scratches
    on the eagle's breast or a little strike weakness at the tops of the letters in "united".
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file