Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help

Hello I'm new here. I need some guidance. My father recently passed away and we found in his safe deposit box a very large coin collection. Don't know if it's worth anything, there are several different coins and he had many of each. Where should I start to find out if the coins are worth anything? I'll be getting a list of all the coins and can post it here if that would help. Any response is appreciated. image

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, and we'll try to give you some useful advice. Posting a list of the coins is a good way to start.

First, do NOT clean or otherwise mess with the coins.

Do you know when he bought the coins and who he bought them from?
    Are the coins in holders? What kind? Are they labeled at all?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about your father and welcome to the forums. Most of us will recommend you spend some time learning about coins before trying to liquidate anything. Unfortunately, too many people will try to take advantage of you.

Some essential resources include:

Red Book (Guide to US Coins - available in most bookstores)
    Coin Collector's Survival Guide by Scott Travers

And we're happy to answer questions here. Also, PCGS has a coin glossary that can help you with terms. Here is a link for terms and here is a link to help you learn some about different coins.

Neil
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by reading books. A redbook is a good general tool, any coin store will sell you one. Then once you know what coins you now have you can get into more specific books. Become familiar with grading, and most of all spend plenty of time here, lots of really smart people.

also, welcome to the CU US Coin forum.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I think they're really just a bunch of loose coins so I'm sure the worth isn't that great. But I will post the list to see what you guys think to see if I should even pursue it. Thanks again!
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    A quick list of dates/MMs and denominations and we can tell you if there are any 'keys' at least.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file