Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm going for it, wish me luck (JFK Half Dollars)

I'm ordering $1000 worth of halves from the Fed Reserve, (through my bank). Let's hope they grab from the bottom of the pile and send out a bag of walkers and franks. I brought the teller her favorite candy bar and she is only going to charge me face value for them. Score!!!!

Another question, would there be any added value to an unopened mint roll?

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Certain dates, sure there would be extra value. Usually you can sell original common mint rolls for a little over face value at a coin show or something. Good luck with the hunt!
  • Good deal IHM:

Hope you have some good luck - as for mint sealed rolls, it depends on the year and mint of what you get.

Frank
  • Never underestimate the power of a well-placed bribe. image

Unopened mint rolls would be worth more to people who search them for high-grade examples, if you can verify that they are indeed original solid-date rolls. If you get a bunch that look the same, that's a good sign, and you could crack one to give you a better idea.

Good luck!
  • please keep us informed of your findings. I am most interested to see what a $1000 crop of halves yield.
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Does "SCORE" mean what I think it means?
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    How exciting to search through all the rolls... Good luck and be sure ant tell us what the net result is....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    IHM,

I'd be really interested in your results as well. I would like to try an order myself.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Best of luck and enjoy the search!image

Like everyone else, I would be interested in seeing a post of the results.

Jr
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea, and good luck.

I hit several solid rolls of 40% Kennedies at my credit union not long ago, just by sheer luck- a teller remembered I was a collector and set them aside for me. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about $60.00 face- a great score at face value! Most of the coins were AU-ish and pretty decent. Only two in the batch were not 40%- one was a 1964 and one was a clad coin.

I offered to go out and buy lunch for that fine lady, but she declined.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I did them same at my bank today. I figured with the last box I can't go wrong. At least with this type of venture no money is lost just a little time. Aside from the silver in the last box I also found a 1977-D DDO-001 in ex/au worth about $50-100 on Ebay. Good luck on your boxes. BOB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file