Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

time to see my psychiatrist-I'm looking at a 72-cc $20!

Hi kids (especially Michael),

Well, I found another unique little item on eBay, of all places. Check this out, dreamweavers.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now between classes and was just awarded a lot of Social Security money. You've all seen my little
Morgan. Well, how 'bout a NGC 61 72-CC $20 to go with it?

Only problem: the guy wants $31,000 for it.

Rarity: only 3 at NGC 61, none higher, one at NGC 60, PCGS pop 0 in MS-60+...
History: early type 2 CC Liberty, rarity exceeded by only the 70 and the 71 cc's.
Aesthetic: Well, liberty heads aren't the most gorgeous coins but this one appears to have nice proof-like qualities.

I can't pay off the coin all at once, but the dealer has offered to "finance it" over two years. My total payment would be $36K.

Can you imagine paying so much for a coin? Yes, it's time to see my psychiatrist or go to my "support group." Well, here I am. Fire away, kids.

Hmm, and I used to dream about a hi-relief $20. Now I can pay cash for a low-grade one!

I've never had so much money before and I used to have a severe gambling problem. Maybe I should get a life or something, but I dig coins-
and I might be helping someone you all know and love represent his wares on the West Coast. Then I'd be able to meet you all in person.

Take care,
Barney

Nicht mehr Münzen-für jetzt!

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    that cc dollar is too much money for you!!........lol

sincerely michael
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    You can buy 12 $3,000 coins over the next two years, thats one every two months or buy that one coin and no others for two years.

• Options
    First, your Morgan is far prettier than that $30 grand beat up hunk of gold. image

Since you asked, I would never recommend buying any coin that wasn't paid for from purely discretionary funds, and certainly not if it required financing.

How will you feel two years from now if in addition to overpaying $5000 for the coin for financing, the coin has also dropped $5,000 in market value? Will you still enjoy the coin being $10,000 in the hole?

Personally, that would be well outside my enjoyable limit unless I had about $1 million to spend on coins.

And what will you do with all that free time on your hands while waiting 2 years for your coin budget to recover? So my advice, of course, is to buy Ikes instead. image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Tell the dealer you want 0% financing or you're going to buy a car instead ($5,000 in finance charges over a two year period sounds very high).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Not too high...about 8% interest rate. image
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultimately it's your money and your decision but I'm of the same opinion as Supercoin that you should only spend disposible income on coins in general and especially on a high end coin like this CC Double Eagle. Price is relative but the fact that you're financing the coin is a bad sign IMHO. If you had to turn around in a month and sell the coin for 50% of what you paid for it how badly would it hurt your financial situation?

Do you have a wife? Talk to her about it. That's why God gave them to us, to knock some sense into us when we're about to make a stupid move image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have a wife? Talk to her about it. That's why God gave them to us, to knock some sense into us when we're about to make a stupid move image. >>

Most profound statement and best advice I've seen on the forum this week.
  • Options
    Depending on what other coins you have consider a partial trade.

Don't chase coins, they are not ging anywhere. Coins in that range I have found these days are purchased not by collectors but speculators, dealers and "flippers". These coins suddenly also appear available.

If this is an investment....Read my post of last week of why some people never make money in coins.

Again depending on your resources, a 30k coin for most is an investment.

Personally i would prefer 10 $3k coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file